MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default Stoker

Mod, if this is wrong place or inappropriate do what you gotta do! But I wanted to say this!

Let me start out by saying phenomenal is an understatement for this device!

John from Rocks Bar-B-Que tried all day yesterday to make the stoker work on the WholeHog, I am sure that is what he wanted to spend his Saturday doing, Notly Q, I know you think his customer service is bad but I gotta disagree, we had success at the beginning, but found some difficulties in keeping the unit cool where the control assembly is housed. We were not able to get the WholeHog up and running, but John did say he was gonna try and modify it and see if he could get something adapted for it! After you read the rest of this you will know why I hope he succeeds!

Now, on to the real story. John also gave me a unit to try on the 075. Some people have this on the FEC 100, I don't know if I am the first person to try the Traeger 075, don't really care, all I am hear to say is if you have an 075 and are wanting UNBELIVABLE control of your temperatures BUY THIS UNIT!

I have had a brisket on since 9:15, took me about 1 hour and 3 calls to Smitty, Bram and John on their way back North, to get the unit configured, I have the Maverick 73 next to the computer, it has not varied 1 degree since I have been typing! I had to see it to believe it! Ric Gilbert, I owe you an apologie, you told me about this control at the Rumble to the Summit in June, I am sure you remember my response, I apologize!

Folks, if you have an 075 and are thinking about a digital controller from Traeger, Fugetaboutit! It cost $200 and it will control you temps if you are lucky within 20*, if it is like mine it can swing 40*! I am not gonna speak for John, but according to his web site you can get his basic system for $200, that includes the blower, which you will not need, so maybe he will be adjusting that when he gets around to...well I don't know. I guess he does not have many of these in Traegers right now, but man, when the word gets out, he better get ready for some orders!

You guys know I love my Traegers, but this control unit is so far Superior to the Traeger digital unit, there is just no comparison. The fricken gage has not budged, I just went outside to make sure it was on!

If you still want a Traeger digital, give me a call, I will sell you one for half price!

John, just tell me where to send the check!

The thing is still 224*! Fricken unbelievable!

Edit: Another thing I just thought of. The pellet consumption is way less with the Stoker, it will pay for itself over time just in the amount of pellets used! I think it has better smoke too!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good to hear this report! Are you going to be doing the wireless hook up?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Good to hear this report! Are you going to be doing the wireless hook up?
Maybe someday, not that far along yet! I am running out of excuses for not winning, I gotta keep some!

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Old 02-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Rick's Tropical Delight

good to hear.

now, if i can only get him to correct the misspelled words on his website and put up the rest of the recipes i gave him! hahaha

Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

So is this just a normal Stoker controller hooked up to the Traeger? I don't have a Traeger but been thinking real hard about it...But my only hold-back was what you were saying, not having control over the temp...

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Im sure he was great when you finally spoke with him, but my experience was like this. (ANd like I have stated every time...I think his product is amazing. I work with DDC building automation controls for a living, so I love his product )

1st email sent, no reply
2nd email sent, no reply
3rd email sent, no reply
phone call, left message for him to call, no reply. (explain how this is good customer service)

Email sent to BBQ Guru....returned email in about an hour and a phone call as well. Guess who got me as a customer for life. (this is called customer service)

I have never said anything bad about the Stoker or the stoker dude, just my experience was poor customer service. I not going to spend my money on a product that I cant even get a reply from the company. I wish he would have called me back, but his loss, Gurus gain I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post

Notly Q, I know you think his customer service is bad but I gotta disagree, !

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que'inKC View Post
So is this just a normal Stoker controller hooked up to the Traeger? I don't have a Traeger but been thinking real hard about it...But my only hold-back was what you were saying, not having control over the temp...

Que,

I am not real sure of all the mechanical aspects, what I can tell you is the the Traeger digital I had comes out, John has made a mother board that fits where it went and the cables go from it into the seperate Stoker unit.

The unit that replaces the Traeger digital has the four connections, just like the Traeger, so it was real easy to just install it and connect the 4 plugs. You then plug a gray cable into that unit and then into the Stoker, and add a temp probe to it and attach it where you what it to read the temp in the pit.

I realize one cook is not a lot of data, but man I am impressed so far. It has not varied more than 3 degrees for the last 7 hours.

Brave new World!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

I really wish he would have called me. The fact that this thing is wireless, and I can watch it from my cell phone is what I love so much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Que,

I am not real sure of all the mechanical aspects, what I can tell you is the the Traeger digital I had comes out, John has made a mother board that fits where it went and the cables go from it into the seperate Stoker unit.

The unit that replaces the Traeger digital has the four connections, just like the Traeger, so it was real easy to just install it and connect the 4 plugs. You then plug a gray cable into that unit and then into the Stoker, and add a temp probe to it and attach it where you what it to read the temp in the pit.

I realize one cook is not a lot of data, but man I am impressed so far. It has not varied more than 3 degrees for the last 7 hours.

Brave new World!

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

John is a great dude, I don't car what anybody says about him.

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote