MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
captain John
Found some matches.

Default What Size holes/spacing in heat plate for stick burner ?

Hey Guys,I have a "stick burner" and going to make a heat plate to try and even out the heat in the horizontal side of my smoker. The ones I've seen for sale have several rows of holes each row with the same size holes , holes increasing in size further away from the fire box.
Is their a magic size hole to start / end with or spacing between rows and number of rows ?
My horizontal is 20" diameter and 40" long . Thanks in advance for your help, I have a chunk of stainless that I thought would work well for this project.
captain John is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't know that there is a magic formula since all cookers run differently. It will all depend on the flow of your cooker and the temp difference now versus what you want in the end. Many people like having different temp zones for cooking different meats. Personally, instead of drilling holes, I would cut the sheet into tuning plates that can be adjusted. Start with a larger plate right outside the firebox that will act as a diffuser and remain there permanently. Then have plates of 4-6" widths or so that you can space out in the cooking chamber to achieve your desired temps. A quick search brought up this page which is a good illustration of what I mean.

http://www.bbquepits.com/images/ACCE...ING_PLATES.htm

[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

I also have a convection plate on my xmas list. Horizon makes one. Not sure how big the holes r tho.

I also thought bout just getting steel strips and making tuning plates. Not sure how to get em to be able the screw n lock tho. Id just get strips n place em in the smoker.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
kwag
Found some matches.

This was how I did mine, I used 1/2" dia. holes on 3" Centers, the diffuser tapers to the short end. It seems to work pretty good so far, in my 48" long smoker it may have a temperature difference of around 2-5 degrees.

kwag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

I made mine adjustable as well. Love it that way!

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I would cut the sheet into tuning plates that can be adjusted. Start with a larger plate right outside the firebox that will act as a diffuser and remain there permanently. Then have plates of 4-6" widths or so that you can space out in the cooking chamber to achieve your desired temps.
^^^^ This is what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirty00 View Post
I also thought bout just getting steel strips and making tuning plates. Not sure how to get em to be able the screw n lock tho.
1/4" steel plates aren't going anywhere once placed in the bottom of your pit. No need for fasteners.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Would this apply to a reverse flow cooker?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote