MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Default 13 more reasons you can never be too careful!

http://www.fresnobee.com/384/story/880568.html

California BBQ fundraiser blamed for E. coli cases

Health officials say 13 people have contracted the bacteria E. coli after attending a fundraiser barbecue.

Butte County Health Officer Mark Lundberg says the sick were among 300 to 400 people at a Sept. 6 fundraiser for the volunteer fire department.

Health officials aren't sure which food made people sick. Lundberg says chicken, potato salad, beans, hot dogs, veggie burgers, chips and tri-tip were served.

Two of the sick remained hospitalized Thursday. The bacteria can cause severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting and fever. Most people recover within five to seven days.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yikes!

I'll bet it was the veggie burgers!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Yikes!

I'll bet it was the veggie burgers!
Bingo!

Someone cooked up some of those last week when we were catering a party.
They did look a bit odd, IMHO!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Honestly, reading things like this scares me. I feel bad for the organizers and especially those who prepared the food, etc.

http://www.buttecounty.net/publichea...-O%20final.pdf
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm feeding 1690 people in the next 5 days. Now I'm a touch nervous. Oh well, follow the rules and hope for the best!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with your preparation as in the case of few of the last outbreaks. It has to do with the soil, hydration methods of some of the vegetation.

Still make me scared!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Sometimes it has nothing to do with your preparation as in the case of few of the last outbreaks. It has to do with the soil, hydration methods of some of the vegetation.

Still make me scared!

Ya it could have been in there already and had nothing to do with there prep but it will fall on there shoulders. Not fun!!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

This happened in my county, and the Fire Dept used the same meat supplier I use. I bought meat the same day that they did and catered a party for the local District Attormey's Office. The folks that I catered for are happy and healthy.

We must always be aware of the dangers of not following food safety guidlines. This is a perfect example. You can not trim raw tri tip on a cutting board and then later cut the cooked tri tip on the same unwashed cutting board----but people do it.

The rumor up here is that the method that was used to marinate the meat is being investigated. I feel deeply for the people that became sick. I am also sure that the Health Dept will be visiting all BBQ caterers in this county.

Now---to all of you jokesters that got word of this and called me to see if I was the caterer---well nevermind
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
This happened in my county, and the Fire Dept used the same meat supplier I use. I bought meat the same day that they did and catered a party for the local District Attormey's Office. The folks that I catered for are happy and healthy.

We must always be aware of the dangers of not following food safety guidlines. This is a perfect example. You can not trim raw tri tip on a cutting board and then later cut the cooked tri tip on the same unwashed cutting board----but people do it.

The rumor up here is that the method that was used to marinate the meat is being investigated. I feel deeply for the people that became sick. I am also sure that the Health Dept will be visiting all BBQ caterers in this county.

Now---to all of you jokesters that got word of this and called me to see if I was the caterer---well nevermind
I wonder if they kept the meat and marinade refrigerated the whole time?

We have started using disposable cutting sheets for both vending and catering events. I LOVE those things. And we use a separate one each for beef, pork or chicken. I get them from www.Daydots.com. I think I learned about them from either someone here or the cbbqa.org.