MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
pdxRandy
Got Wood.

Default Advice please......Char-Griller QC problem

First off I hope this is in the proper area. Semi rant and a question of the Brethren.

I bought a Char-Griller SuperPro w/Side firebox from Lowe's.

One of the things that I noted in the store where I purchesed this thing was the way they had welded the end caps to the main body at the bottom raidus of the round bottom part. I asumed that it was to stop grease from seeping out in the spot welded seam between the end cap and the main bottom body. They make a nice little grease cup holder and cut two holes for the grease to go into the grease cup. Fair. No leaks, nice and clean, good design IMHO.

The first one leaked like it was not welded. I called Char-Griller and they wanted me to send them a copy of my sales invoice and a letter of explaination, fair. Their customer service folk agreed to my thought that the six inch bead was to "stop" hot grease from excaping through that seam and not dripping into the gease cup. I did this and they sent me a second bottom. Great. I get to looking at the replacement part and it is just as bad as the first one, in fact worse! Both ends are poorly welded. The welding bead is on the end cap and misses the main body of the cooker. This one is going to leak as well. I an different life I was a metal fabricator and know what is good and what is bad.

So what do I do? Contact Char-Griller "again" and send them pictures or do it just haul it back to the store were I purchesed this mess and dump in on them? I am about fed up with poor guality, my dollar bills were of high quality and I expect the same in return. If they and not attempted to seal the bottom of the cooker then it was "bad on me" for buying a design that was flawed. It is not their design! It would work great if their craftsmanship was equal to their design.

This it really chaps my hide.

So what do I do?

I don't think that I should have to take this unit over to my old shop and weld it up. If I wanted to build a cooker that is what I would have done from the git go. How about all the people that don't have a welding shop and welding knowlage and are just getting stiffed.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Take it back to Lowe's...Get your$$$$...and invest in a UDS!

firecrackerjack
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Post some Pictures?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

need to see some pics. I have had good luck with my cg's..

Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxRandy View Post
So what do I do?
Unless you go to something homemade (UDS) or try and get something off of Craigslist, I doubt you'll get much better for the price. Go ahead and mod it yourself - at least then you'll know it was done right.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTX View Post
Unless you go to something homemade (UDS) or try and get something off of Craigslist, I doubt you'll get much better for the price. Go ahead and mod it yourself - at least then you'll know it was done right.
I agree. I've seen the older CGSP w/SFB and they are much better built than the one that I have. Thier QC seems to have gone to chit.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Char-Griller QC's Head!

I agree with you!!!!!! Read post #14 on Successful Brisket thread....

Boycott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twiste d::tw isted::twisted ::twi sted:
Alan (coon@$$)

Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
pdxRandy
Got Wood.

Default Pron.............

Here are some pictures. Both pieces of metal should be welded togther the beads or on the end bell and sometimes touch the main body of the smoker.

Simple QC welding deal. Get the fella who is running the MIG gun glasses, tell him to run a larger bead or use larger wire, or if it is automatic fluff the program for a larger bead. They are running intershield or dual shield wire because there was flux on the beads.

In these pictures it is very clear that "both" pieces of metal are not joined by the weld. IMHO the wire feel gun was pushed to fast with someone pulling the trigger who has no clue of craftsmanship. None! I also think from looking at the burn marks at the start of the beads that this was done my hand not a machine. The one bead that looks good has pin holes. There is not one of these beads on either bottom, the one that was in the box or the one the they shipped me that are sound welds.

The top two are from the fire box end and the bottom is from the cold end of the smoker.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
wickedbbq'r
Full Fledged Farker

That just doesn't look right. I've had a lot of luck with mine. The customer service at Lowes is pretty good, just bring it back for another. Good Luck!
Meadow Creek TS120P
1-22" WSM
1-22" Weber Performer
wickedbbq'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

wow mine doesn't have that problem, but I am going to go out and recheck when I cook tonight.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

It's the little Chinese kid doing the welding.............Drag that thing back to Lowes and let them deal with it.............
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

I have a CG and now it just sits collecting dust while my UDS smokes away. I should use put it on CL and get 50 bucks for it. My suggestions is you do the same.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk1398 View Post
I have a CG and now it just sits collecting dust while my UDS smokes away. I should use put it on CL and get 50 bucks for it. My suggestions is you do the same.
Good advice, but since it was just purchased take it back and get your full refund. More than enough to build a UDS...

I have one that just sits in the yard collecting dust as well. Bought it before I found this site. I will say the CG will help you learn fire tending.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Tee hee, looks like some of my Friday afternoon welding if ya know what I mean.

Fix it yourself and mod it up. Or like they said, get a 55 gallon and a 15 gallon drum and make up one of your own. You'll be more satisfied. I hate to buy stuff.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm also a CG owner and agree the quality could be much better. i bought mine before I found this site or I would have went the UDS route. I used a hammer to make some adjustments to mine and I'm able to cook low and long with OK results so far. Well, I do have to use tin foil on the leaky firebox in order to control the temps...

You know what they say: You get what you paid for. The CG is a low end smoker, so I'm not surprised at all the problems. Not that I'm condoning the poor quality...