MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #61
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Why are you spamming the thread?

Differing opinions be not spam.

Bottom line is a lot of guys cook GREAT briskets. There is **NO** end-all-be-all brisket guru out there.

There are definitely stand-out cooks in various categories.

I think some "frustration" for lack of a better word comes along for those who have been producuing amazingly good products for years, and all of a sudden some guy gets a lot of press because of how good his stuff is, and lots of sheeple jump on the bandwagon that the definitive word has now been spoken about how to cook said product.

Take everything with a grain of salt, learn things that work for you, keep listening and trying to improve, but in the world of BBQ never assume that there is only one right way to do something to produce an amazing outcome.

Just my $.02.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #62
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Why are you spamming the thread?
I think we need a Beer Summit lol.

Vision, you can't take Donnie too seriously lol...and he's one of one or two guys on this site that I would consider flying to from PA for one day of pit time. He's forgotten more than I've ever learned.

Not trying to take sides or get in the middle of anything...just my .02

Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #63
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for sharing the vids, ive never seen brisket jiggle like that. The Franklin videos were very informative, I like his simplistic approach and rub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
I think we need a Beer Summit lol.

Vision, you can't take Donnie too seriously lol...and he's one of one or two guys on this site that I would consider flying to from PA for one day of pit time. He's forgotten more than I've ever learned.

Not trying to take sides or get in the middle of anything...just my .02
There seems to be a lot of negative energy when I see posts from Pitmaster T. Not trying to take sides or get in the middle of anything.... just my two cents.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #64
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I will take sides. Donnie was a member of this board, a long time before many of you showed up. He has helped a lot of folks, including me, learn to cook briskets a lot better. He has also donated a load of knowledge and a load of B.S. at times. If you stop and read a bit, you will find he does bring a great deal of value to the equation. I consider him to be both a good mentor and a good friend. I would also say, that a lot of what he says, is a lot of what Aaron Franklin is doing, ya just gotta give it some ear.

He was also a donor in monetary terms if I am not mistaken, but, circumstances change for all of us.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #65
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
Differing opinions be not spam.

Bottom line is a lot of guys cook GREAT briskets. There is **NO** end-all-be-all brisket guru out there.

.... but in the world of BBQ never assume that there is only one right way to do something to produce an amazing outcome.
I completely agree. I also believe those sentiments need to go both ways here in this thread, regardless of "board status".
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #66
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

El Ropo, that link is straight bangin! All hail Donnie T, who knew how to cook a Texas brisket that jiggled before anyone knew who Aaron Franklin was.

Props to Franklin too, he obviously has some crazy pit skills.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #67
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

In addition to the jiggle I'd say the Pitmaster T's brisket hits an all time awesome when he slices it with a dull dull pizza knife. looks like it slices like butter!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #68
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is Q-Talk, guys. Please stay reasonably on topic, wouldja? While Jane Seymour is a babe, and yes, membership has its privileges, brisket is the topic.

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge

Last edited by Arlin_MacRae; 09-20-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #69
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I asked the meat mkt manager at my local grocery store if she could order me some all natural angus brisket since they sometimes carry it. It's supposed to be here today.. can't wait to see what they got. I hope that thing has a nice thick flat and is as limber as a wet noodle. I hope everything works out so I can smoke it this weekend.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #70
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I asked the meat mkt manager at my local grocery store if she could order me some all natural angus brisket since they sometimes carry it. It's supposed to be here today.. can't wait to see what they got. I hope that thing has a nice thick flat and is as limber as a wet noodle. I hope everything works out so I can smoke it this weekend.
How much did that set you back a lb?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #71
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I picked up an 18lb Angus certified Brisket this week for $2.99/lb. Little worried on the cook time for this, but am very excited to try this new technique.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #72
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly6 View Post
I picked up an 18lb Angus certified Brisket this week for $2.99/lb. Little worried on the cook time for this, but am very excited to try this new technique.

I pay $3.19/lb for CAB Choice right now. I was just curious if the "All Natural" label affected the price?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #73
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
She quoted me $3.49/lb which is better than their upscale Central Market chain. I called their meat market and they quoted me $7.99/lb

I don't know what the difference is, but I'm not sure it's worth trying at those prices. Might as well order from Creekstone farms directly and know exactly what I'm getting for that kind of money.

There is a local meat market where all they carry is prime or choice in both angus and regular brisket for about $3.49/lb. They are good briskets no doubt, but I want to see if I can taste the difference with an "all natural" brisket, cause Franklins sure did have a distinctive flavor to it.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #74
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly6 View Post
That's a great price! Is that a full packer? Just allow yourself enough time, if you get done ahead of schedule it will rest just fine and probably do it some good anyway. Try to trim away any excess fat off the bottom to try to get some overall uniform thickness to it. It should cook more evenly like that. Don't go overboard though, you still need some fat on the bottom. What are you cooking on anyways?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #75
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
That's a great price! Is that a full packer? Just allow yourself enough time, if you get done ahead of schedule it will rest just fine and probably do it some good anyway. Try to trim away any excess fat off the bottom to try to get some overall uniform thickness to it. It should cook more evenly like that. Don't go overboard though, you still need some fat on the bottom. What are you cooking on anyways?
I'm cooking on my 55gal UDS. This thing will span the distance from side to side, but I am sure it will shrink as it cooks.

Thanks for the tips on trimming. It is a full packer with a smaller point, so I bought a chuck roast to additional burnt ends. I am also planning on a turkey for a family reunion this weekend. Should be a lot of fun and a challenge to get the food just right.

Plan for now is to fire up the UDS tomorrow at about 4pm, put the brisket on and run it all night. I figure by 5am the next morning it should be ready to wrap in the paper and finish after that. Pull it off the drum at noon and put the turkey on right after. 4 hours of that and it should be good to go.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote