MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Q-Dan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Chip soaking water in the water pan?

Every time I pour off the water from chips I've been soaking, I think -- I should just throw this in the water pan and be done with it. I've never actually done it though. I don't think it would result in anything bad, but I never want to risk it.

Has anybody tried it? Maybe I'm the only one in the world NOT doing that.
Q-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Back when I soaked chips (don't bother anymore), I did that from time to time for giggles. Never really noticed any difference in the end product either way.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

On the water pan cookers we use, that's what rises to add moisture and flavor. If you would want to drink or eat that water then use it in the pan. I don't think it sounds very tasty. We quit soaking many years ago. We now get smoking wood that is of better quality than the hard, dry pieces found in the box stores. Much less flareups, heat fluctuatuion and much better flavor. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Strain the water from the chips into the water pan and place the water pan in the smoker. Throw the chips away as they're now almost ruined except for lining the flower bed outside. Put in charcoal and new fresh DRY wood chips (or chunks) and light the fire. When your smoker is up to temps and there's thin sweet blue smoke (not the billowy white smoke produced by wet wood chips) put the meat in the smoker.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Don't soak your chips. problem solved.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Q-Dan

OK, well there you have it. I'll stop soaking! I've always been a soaker and never really considered not soaking. I've been thinking of switching to chunks anyhow and this would pretty much solve this issue altogether!
Q-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

When I use chips, I make a double thick foil pouch. Put the chips in, seal it, then punch a few holes to let the smoke escape. Then, toss it in. I rarely use chips though, chunks are the way to go.

I used to soak my wood chips also, I'd be willing to bet there aren't too many of us here, that haven't.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Im with mike just skip the soaking, its really a waste of time.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Bartstop
On the road to being a farker

I agree that the wood you buy at box stores sucks. I would think that in Colorado, real wood would be easy to come by. Check craigslist.

Dave
Bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
MrVza
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a plank of wood from sonnys that I plan on chopping up and using it for chunk .. My problem with wood chips must be I don't let them burn before I close the lid? Just seems often my smoke isn't clean...
MrVza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

No soaking, and try to use chunks instead of chips. If the smoke coming out of the exhaust is not thin blue to invisible, you are farking up.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Often a picture is worth a thousand words. With that I'll show you what thin blue smoke looks like (it's ALLLLLMOST invisible). Really. White smoke; bad. Billowy smoke; bad. Blackish smoke; horrendous bad. Most instructions on most smokers frankly are wrong.

Here's a pic or two:

Seriously, the temps on the smoker (surface temp) was right at 250. The wood used in these pics was hickory. Good smokin' smoke is thin and has a light blue hue to it.

An old example pic of bad and good. Bad on the left (produced by using wet wood), good on the right. The wood applied to the fire was already warmed and dry. This is right before it got very thin, but it's still that light blueish hue:

Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
jason p
On the road to being a farker

I was watching alton brown or americas test kitchen and they did a study on soaking wood chunks for twenty four hours and the water only soaked into the wood about a sixteenth of a inch. I do not soak wood at all, the wood will only smolder if they air flow is controlled.
jason p is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Cokyjara

The BTU's needed to heat the soaked wood up to evaporate will just lower your pit temp unless you increase air flow. Chunks are the way to go. Chips can be used if that is all you have. Just wrap tight in foil and poke a couple holes to let air in and smoke out. They will smoke for quite a while this way!
Cokyjara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

I've always had a ton of chips hangingf around as it seems every smoker I bought came with a abg or two. In my UDS I put a handful in the ashpan under my charcoal basket. Hot coals and ash dropping through create enough smoulder to produce nice blue smoke