MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I am sure that it is some really good pork but in the case of money muscles, size doesn't always matter....its how you cook it.

That's what she said!!!!
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by INmitch View Post
To each his own......butt (pun intended)........I myself couldn't make that walk after getting a call for something that might be remotely stretching the rules. I'll stick to adding trophies to the shelf with my IBP's.

I'd much rather BBQr's be more like pro golfers and police ourselves, than NASCAR teams that break and push the rules. I couldn't live with myself if I knowingly break the rules to gain an advantage. If I want to win, it won't be by me cheating.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
daveinwestmont
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I'd much rather BBQr's be more like pro golfers and police ourselves, than NASCAR teams that break and push the rules. I couldn't live with myself if I knowingly break the rules to gain an advantage. If I want to win, it won't be by me cheating.

Badges, what badges? We don't need no stinking badges!!!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I believe that there a great deal of good comments here. From what I understand from this packer/ producer this is a typical way of cutting for them. The explanation is the fact they they leave less for grinding and waste. The producer specializes in one particular product that is far from the shoulder so anything they can sell after they harvest what they want for their primary product is a big plus.
I noticed last night while injecting it (Smoker on Wheels Pork Injection) that the long muscle tissue allowed for easy injecting and the striations kept a massive amount of the liquid in the meat. The fat that was left on was quite different compared to the butts I am used to. The pliability and density was much less that my past purchases.
Lastly, the size of the money muscle was large and had great fat striations through it. I understand that the size isn't always imperative but I have had better luck with slices of money muscle with a diameter of 1 1/2" rather than a 1" piece. Scottie is right when he says the size doesn't matter if you don't cook it correctly, and I believe that applies to every piece of meat.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
From what I understand from this packer/ producer this is a typical way of cutting for them. The explanation is the fact they they leave less for grinding and waste.
I'm not trying to start a fight or a pissing match but this contradicts what you said in your first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
*I explained what I would like and the head of purchasing and packing said he would be happy to butcher to those exact specs.
Today I received two, 11 pound avg. pork butts, cut from the second rib with 1/4" fat left on. *
(bold added)
Cut from the second rib is not an IMPS cut. Did you spec cut from the 2nd rib? if so you spec'd an illegal butt. From the 2nd or 3rd rib is a European or Japanese break, it's not typically done here.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I did ask for a larger than normal butt and a product that had a nice fat cap along with being fresh. *When they Fedex'd me the meat I called to talk to the packer and they explained my products specs. *It was like me asking the gas station clerk for a winning lottery ticket last Tuesday morning, except she did sell me a $100 winner. *
In 1998 I learned to butcher from a German immigrant in Northern Iowa. *The cut that was sent to me was the same cut I used in my butchering since then. *For an old German butcher to cut that way makes me wonder why it is called Japanese.
I am not sure how this cut I got from my new found source compares to the 13-17 pound butts I had been purchasing from a local food service company *differs. *We have always had huge butts with nice money muscles from U.S. Foodservice and Hawkeye Food Service.
Would it matter who was doing the actual cutting at the Hormel, IBP, JBS, or other packing plant? *I would guess that human involvement at the plant often leads to poor quality or great quality butts and being diligent in meat selection process rather than someone going out to buy collars. *I have a packing plant that I can purchase fresh killed never frozen butts 12 minutes from my farm that I have found great product as well.
As long as rule #10 in the KCBS rule book is followed then nobody should have anything to worry about.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

So did you ask them to cut it from the 2nd rib or not?
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------

Old 02-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Nope. Guess I didn't need to, I got some fancy Japanese cut of pork from a custom meat plant in Iowa when I really went looking for a large butt from premium stock with good marbling. Enough said. I will see a CBJ instructor and pork buyer next weekend maybe he can shed some light on the question about custom cuts.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #24
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Fair enough, so you have enough experience to tell when a butt is cut long vs a standard butt. This is the kind of knowledge that KCBS reps and inspectors need to acquire if they're going to leave rule 10 as vague as it is now.

This thread is the perfect example on why rule 10 needs to be either defined better or opened up to any pork except ribs as Dr. BBQ suggested in the pork collar thread
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------

Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

...Well, being from Iowa, at least you should know where your Pork Collars come from!

..just sayin'!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Boyden is way to far to drive for pork. I would rather pick it up closer to home. I wish I had known it was under my nose all this time.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

We used Boneless Berkshire butts last year. All in the 8-10 lb. range. Finished 4th Overall in Pork 2011 PNWBA. Not bad since we started the season out on a Klose and finished on WSM's.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
bluewhackadoo
Found some matches.

That's some nice color on the butt fat. Where are you finding those around these parts?
bluewhackadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iowa, pork, snake river