MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
jtcannonball
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Air Flow and Therm question.

I have read a lot on here prior to building my first smoker. I've finished the mods on my Jumbo Joe and my pot is being delivered by next week off of eBay. I'll build my basket this week and pick up the remaining parts.

Question #1

I notice that Air flow on the bottom vent jumbo Joe is ok but needs a mod like a can with holes on the sides to keep ash from clogging the vent during a cook. I'm wanting to add a ball valve for easier temp control while cooking and for adding a Guru later on. Is one 3/4" valve enough or should I add two?

Question #2

I'm wanting a Tel Tru Therm to go under my middle grate. What length stem would you recommend? I'm wanting the BQ300.

One last question.

Grommet hole for meet probes? Any good recommendations?

Thanks a ton.

jtcannonball
jtcannonball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Use lump and it shouldn't clog the vents.

If you mount it really close to the grate you can use a longer stem. The longer the better as long as it doesn't interfere with the food.

I never drilled any probe ports in mine but you can drill thru a thin piece of scrap metal and get an idea of how big it needs to be to fit your probes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Fwismoker is THE "Jimmy" guru, if you search/read over his posts, you have all the info you need.

I'm not a thermo probe grommet guy. I'd rather grind/cut/ a small notch the rim of the pot and boogie on down the road- it it just easier to use. I'm in the minority- folks seem to love the electrical connector with rubber insert...I think those are goofy-they think notching the rim is goofy- thus the circle is complete :)

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
jtcannonball
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Fwismoker is THE "Jimmy" guru, if you search/read over his posts, you have all the info you need.

I'm not a thermo probe grommet guy. I'd rather grind/cut/ a small notch the rim of the pot and boogie on down the road- it it just easier to use. I'm in the minority- folks seem to love the electrical connector with rubber insert...I think those are goofy-they think notching the rim is goofy- thus the circle is complete :)
I don't recall seeing grommet solutions on his thread. I'll take another look. If I place my thermometer under my middle grate I can get as long of a stem as I like. I'll do some more searching.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
jtcannonball
Knows what a fatty is.

Also are the Tel Tru worth the money over River therms? It's going to be just a reference tool more than anything as I'll be using my Maverick.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I use a 12" turkey thermometer 1" under my grate on my UDS- gets right to the center of my 55 gallon drum. Yes, it would interfere with the fire basket going in and out- but it's removable. I use about 4" of the threaded lamp rod - nutted inside and out -it keeps the thermometer level in the drum. It's not super high dollar and is pretty accurate for what it is. I just need it to be close anyway- 5 to 10 degrees is not worth sweating over. I use a good digital thermometer for meat but cook chamber temp is not as critical to me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
jtcannonball
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
I use a 12" turkey thermometer 1" under my grate on my UDS- gets right to the center of my 55 gallon drum. Yes, it would interfere with the fire basket going in and out- but it's removable. I use about 4" of the threaded lamp rod - nutted inside and out -it keeps the thermometer level in the drum. It's not super high dollar and is pretty accurate for what it is. I just need it to be close anyway- 5 to 10 degrees is not worth sweating over. I use a good digital thermometer for meat but cook chamber temp is not as critical to me.
With the Jimmy build the charcoal will be under my pot in the base of the Weber Jumbo Joe. But I have to be somewhat on the shorter side so the diffuser can be removed if needed.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcannonball View Post
Also are the Tel Tru worth the money over River therms? It's going to be just a reference tool more than anything as I'll be using my Maverick.
Cheaper here
http://kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
jtcannonball
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Cheaper here
http://kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html

For just wanting a reference thermometer as I use my Maverick I decided to just go with the River Country.

Now the decisions on air intake are still bugging me.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
pjtexas1

I'd try it at least once with the stock intake. I have a RC on my Jimmy.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
jtcannonball
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I'd try it at least once with the stock intake. I have a RC on my Jimmy.

I'm only adding one 3/4" ball valve. I want to be able to order the adapter for my BBQ Guru. If it wasn't for that I'd try just the regular Weber intake.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 AM   #12
jtcannonball
Knows what a fatty is.

Also does any 3/4" ball valve work with the Guru 3/4" adapter?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #13
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

On a build like this I don't understand the desire for electrical gizmos. I do however understand the desire for gadgets in general...so use whatever you like.

If it were me, I would forgo the bottom intake altogether. Pop three holes around the perimeter. Cover two with magnets & use your ball valve on one. It might would be ok with only two holes, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

"Cover two with magnets"

Cook- if you are talking about using the flexible magnets, I'd shy away from those for this application. The bottom of that Jumbo is going to run way hotter than the sides of a UDS- I ran sheet magnets on my drum with a smallish fire basket- and I still melted many a one to the barrel.

I'd do one 3/4" ball valve and use the tin can with holes puched up high for the existing intake. Temp comes up, feather the intake and just run off the ball valve. IF you need higher temps - for crisping up chicken you can open the bottom up some. The can should still allow it to breathe.

Good luck- threads like this make me "want to build something"

Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Nuco...no, I never liked the idea of those thin magnets. Never have used them for that reason. I figured you only needed smaller holes on this sized smoker and regular magnet would work even with the convex of the bottom.

I would actually love to have a bullet smoker this size. Love getting new or other ideas.