MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Default Question on portable hot water heaters for comps

Hey fellas, I am looking at buying a small hot water heater for the pit and was wondering how they draw in the water if you don't have a dedicated garden hose for them. I am looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Trit...pr_product_top and am wondering if they draw from 5 gallon containers or what. Anyone build their own little setup that can share some ideas on how to rig it up? Thanks in advance.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

you need a pump to supply the water. Surflo are the best. 12 VDC are what are mostly used on RVs but there are 110VAC units out there. Make sure the flow rate and pressure are compatable with your water heater. These are on demand units by the way.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

We just did a round on this topic here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=129415

These "camping shower" tankless heaters are not really designed for setups where you don't have a pressurized water supply. Without a hose, you'd need a pump and battery, plus the additional plumbing and charger to support it all. If it were me and I needed a setup for dry camping (and didn't want to go the turkey fryer route) I'd look at a self-contained unit like the Coleman.

It's built for light duty, but the simplest solution I know of if you must make do with jugged water.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
wyocurt
On the road to being a farker

I use a tankless water heater, rv pump, 12 volt battery, 20 gal tank for water. Have 3 compartment sink and hand washing stationw. Water heater uses propane for heat and lights on demand by 2 d batteries. It works great except when the wind is blowing around 30 mph and up. Then it back to the ole turkey fryer. the battery will last through 3or 4 competitions.
FEC 100
wsm 22.5
RMBBQA Member
CBBQA
cbj #63452:-P
wyocurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
dosvans
Full Fledged Farker

Until I got my trailer I used a Coleman Hot Water Heater, and it always did the job.
- 18.5" WSM
- Yoder YS640
- 22" Weber Kettle w/Smokenator
dosvans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Code3BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We just bought the Coleman unit. It seemed like a lot of folks here had good success with it and we were able to pick it up on sale at REI for under $200.
KCBS & SLBS Member
Code3BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I was thinking I may just stick with the turkey fryer and jugs. Who doesn't love jugs, right? Seemed like a cool setup idea but then the Coleman rig I have also seen at comps. I may stick with completing my UDS build and save the hot water deal for next year. This competition stuff is a never ending money pit of fun. Still need an enclosed trailer to start a new roll and go pit so I don't have so much tear down and set up.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We did the turkey fryer for the first 2 years. It works, but is potentially dangerous when you consider you're moving a 30-50 Qt. container of scalding hot water around.And fairly wasteful of propane as well. Fortunately no mishaps, but the Coleman unit was a better solution! We did get an adapter hose so we could use it with a 20 lb. tank instead of those 5$ per can minis
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Chris...we use the Coleman Hot Water On Demand along with a 15 gallon water container and have been very happy with it. The customer service has been top notch as well...
Cheers!
JD
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

I use an electric turkey roaster for a hot sink. Keeps the water scalding hot if necessary..not bothered by the wind. Unplug it when you have to wash dishes if water and elec worry you.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
didisea
Take a breath!

I saw UPINSMOKIN use a long electric immersion element that I think is originally made for a farm application. He told me the manufacturer, but I forgot. But basically its like putting one of those immersion heaters like you would use for your coffee cup, but alot bigger. He had it in a 5 gal jug. Not sure how much electricity it draws.

I found a nice rolling 5 gal igloo jug at Costco the other day for $30 and I got the Camp Chef pot with the spigot on the bottom from Amazon. It will drain directly into the Igloo jug, as a back up to my Coleman which can be tempremental at times.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

The "normal person route":

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Water-...4602952&sr=1-1

The ZBQ way:

http://www.apollocarts.com/110.php

>Manufacturing time is approximately 2 - 8 weeks

Just change "weeks" to "months" and you are good to go.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote