MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:19 AM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Talking 600 degrees

600 degrees.

Thats the temp you get a Klose BYC to on 2 full chimneys of lump, an oak split and 2 apple splits.

did it friday night to "roast" chicken. Got the pit super hot, put in 8 large split breasts skin down and then dampered it down to 350-400, letting it drop in temp slowly.... and moved it further form the firebox after the skin was crisp. . 20 minutes later i had 8 roasted, crispy skin breasts.

also, when the breasts reach 130 inside I opened the dampers back up moved the chicken to the bottom of the vertical, which is its coolest point) and put an inch thick huge sirloin steak in the hot spot for about 2 minutes each side, then moved it onto a grate in the firebox for about a minute on each side. The fire was unbelievbly hot.. very difficult to stay near.

Family went nuts on the chicken..when we sliced them, they poured out juices.. my son came down at midnight for more chicken and there was only one left. out of 8! , and no we didnt have any company besides George.

The steak was for me and george to split.. completly perfect med-rare from end to end.. holy sh*t.. this super hot fast cook worked great.

Point is, it was 45 minutes from start to finish.. much better than the kettle, which was the original plan.. Not alot of smoke flavor, but definately beats the hell out of grilled.. doing it again tomorrow.. just cause i can.. it was 20 degrees, and we were warm and toast near the pit...a great bbq meal in 45 minutes and easy to duplicate.

and now i get to go to bed smelling like smoke.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #2
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Damn Poo! I had never thought to try for over 400. I guess I'll have to give it a try, but let us know how the second pass goes.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Igotta come down phil and q with you some time. I'd love to see you using the BYC and get some tips, direction. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

600* would bake a nice pizza.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Phil, were you testing to see where you could get the Klose up to on that amount of fuel? Just curious if not, what was the reasoning to take it up to 600* first and then damper it back down? I haven't done anything like this myself so I don't know the method involved.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Glad to hear the BYC will go that high with no damage to the unit. Thats my dream pit. I sure would like to have one one day.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
BBQchef33

No, not really testing..

This is a technique i have used in the past to do steaks. Push the pit to 600+ degrees and throw steaks in the hotspot of the vertical for an Offset seering, if the pit is 600+ at the thermometer, that hotspot has to be 700. When steaks are 120(very quick)I put them directly(about an inch) over the coals for a few seconds each side. Thick steaks cook in a few minutes this way and my buddies go completly farking nuts over them. Its a technique only we can do, and the steaks come out like their is still a heart pumping in it. I do similar with the prime rib roasts and briskets, but hit it with 400+ first. Then damper down.

Last night, I wanted high heat and i knew one chimney and a log will give me 350-400. I wanted searing heat to hit the skin with up front. At first i only had 2 splits of apple, but i wanted to punch the pit higher, which the oak log did. i originally was going to add a small amount of mesquite to get ot 500, but didnt want to ruin the chicken. If it was beef, i probably would have gone mesquite for the BTUs. The oak log got it over 600. The thermometer was pinned beyond its limit.

I was in a hurry, wanted to make roasted chicken, didnt want to fire up the gasser and grill it.. and didnt have time for low and slow.. and it was 20 degrees and I had to heat the steel up. Figured instead of cooking in the kitchen oven at 350, why not use the pit as an oven? when the chicken first went in, the pit was over 500, I move the chicken to a cooler spot after a few minutes while the pit dampered down to 350-400.

it really was a great success.. sharon this morning was still ranting about the chicken and wants it again tonight. She looked for some for breakfast, but james ate the last piece at midnight. I may even consider this for competion afte a few more tries.. To have a white meat breast oozing juices like these were, in under an hour with crispy skin could be a nice change. There was a 15-20 minute hold period after we took the chicken off too.

I really recommend you guys try it.. It is NOT however going to give us the intense flavor of low and slow. And the texture is more that of roasted chicken, but for the family dinner in under an hour, it was awesome.

another thing.. Im just not sure what the smaller pits would do with this.. The klose has a 1/2 inch steel firebox and the preheating wood on top ignited last night. The bandera and BSKD may warp. I know the MOAB firebox lid warped a bit when i did this last year and its 3/8 inch steel.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

The BGE or other ceramic cookers work really well for this type of high temp cooking....
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

High heat is what Ruths Chris Steakhouse uses. 1800 degress.

18.5 WSM with BBQ Guru Competition MOD
Bandera with Spicewine Firebox MOD (Lives at Chiefs now)
Silver Smoker with "leak like a Sive" MOD
Brinkman Gourmet with "Critter Infestation" MOD
Jenn-Air 4 Burner Gas Passer with "Lazy" MOD

"Life is hard. It's harder when your stupid."
Hawgsnheifers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I know when we season new cookers, we try to get them up to 600... Never cooked there though... I think I will be trying that on our new beast after I season it.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes
The BGE or other ceramic cookers work really well for this type of high temp cooking....
i did this at the Jack in 2004 on Dizzy Pigs BGE and a prime rib. The only differnce is that due to the closer proximity to the coals, it had a bit of a grilling effect early on..(fuel load was VERY small however). I wasnt using the stone at first, so it really wasnt offset, it was more like broiling until woo-doogie gave me this stone/plate that gave me more of an offset cook.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

I've done high heat chicken roasting in the oven at 500. Butterfly the chicken, put bed of thinly sliced potatoes in the bottom of a broiler pan, put the chicken on the broiler rack, throw in the oven for 20-30 miinutes. Crisp skin, juicy meat, flavored and crispy potatoes. The potatoes under the chicken keep the house from filling up with smoke. Quick and Good. Never tried that on the BSKD. Think I've hit over 400 on occassion, my thermos cut out at 384. As Phil said I don't know if that high temp would warp the unit or not. Anybody tried it on a Bandera or BSKD?

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #13
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

At 600 degrees you could do a real nice job cleaning the inside of the cooker with just a spray full of water.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #14
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Sawdustguy, Your logo still makes me laugh.....Thanks!

Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonToe
Sawdustguy, Your logo still makes me laugh.....Thanks!

CT
Not to hijack the thread but you tag line [Film noir] just about says it all.