Finally got around to starting on my mini uds!

Peas, looks really nice. But pay close attention to the leg assembly/attachment on the Smokey Joe base. It isn't designed to carry much weight.

Both of my SJ's have rusted out around the hole for the leg and have collapsed at the most inopportune times. I've salvaged the second one by removing the legs, rethreading them, and using nuts and washers to reinforce the leg attachment.

I have a 16 gallon drum out back and was considering doing the same thing with my SJ, but decided not to use the base with the standard legs because I'm concerned it would be top heavy on an unsteady base.

Keep us posted how it stands with a load of charcoal and food in it.

Chris

I made one with a 32 qt. Tamale steamer. See the link from Millsy.
It works great. I can cook on 3 possible grates, but usually cook on the top 2. Handles are nice to remove the entire cooking portion from the fire without having to remove the lid or mess with the food. I love it.

It would be great to find a cheap 15 gal drum, but I am pretty happy with my steamer pot.

Great Job with your Mini UDS!!!

Peas, looks really nice. But pay close attention to the leg assembly/attachment on the Smokey Joe base. It isn't designed to carry much weight.

Both of my SJ's have rusted out around the hole for the leg and have collapsed at the most inopportune times. I've salvaged the second one by removing the legs, rethreading them, and using nuts and washers to reinforce the leg attachment.

I have a 16 gallon drum out back and was considering doing the same thing with my SJ, but decided not to use the base with the standard legs because I'm concerned it would be top heavy on an unsteady base.

Keep us posted how it stands with a load of charcoal and food in it.

Chris

Thanks a lot. I will definately look at the legs. Seems to be pretty steady as is. Will see what it is like with a load of kingsford this weekend.

She's cute Peaspurple, nice job! :-D

got more pics of the inside ? kid looks dressed up for the cold. watch out for nylon against the hot grill.

I guessed it peaked out about 19 degrees today...He was only there long enough for the pic, then I had him move over a bit...Thanks, I'll take and post a few pics of the inside tomorrow...

Did you cut off the bottom ring or did you just cut out the actual bottom? That smoker looks very cool!

SWEET :!: :!: :!:

That is so cool :!:

Great pic of your son and the MUD's :biggrin:

Back