MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #31
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
I have a pit calc that works very well. I oversize fire boxes for reverse flow as well as the box to chamber hole and exhaust. It gives the option to go hotter.

Looks good so far but why go with red brick? Use fire bricks to avoid off gassing and reflect heat instead of holding heat. My last build is insulated with 2" and 1.25" fire bricks. You can pm me if you want pointers on it. My build is way more efficient and runs much cooler on the outside because of the bricks.
I wish I could get the fire brick but they are really hard to find out here and quite pricey.. that's the main reason.

Cheers
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #32
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dang...you're quick bro'!
Very nice work!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #33
Stevesonfire!
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
Thanks Steve. The hinges seem ok for now, But i agree with you... they could be a bit more "solid" Ill probably try to fab. some later and put them on. Ive been trying to fond out... what kind of heat do you get with your Reverse flow? How hot can you get it? Can you hold steady 300's with that thing? Let me know Bro... Thnkas

Cheers
300 is no problem at all. I usually cook between 225-250 with a good bed of coals and a small fire with the intake choked down to about 1/4 open.
When I start the smoker, I'll let the temp get up to 375-400 degrees to clean it out a bit, then bring it back down to my cooking temp.
Yours is looking great!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #34
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

i noticed you had the grates what i would call upside down, not trying to tell you how to do you build but i would put the square down and on the inside of you angel iron you could put a small pice of rod 1/2 way out to keep from pulling the grate out to much, then for removal just lift up on the back of the grate a little and you can fully remove, Thats the way I make mine just I would hate to see a grate full of food hit the dirt bc it was pulled out to much
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #35
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice build, Phrasty. The point made about the safety of making sure the LPG is cleared is a great segment. There are places up here that will basically "steam clean" the interior of the tank for a small price.

Keep up the great work!

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #36
deguerre

I can see the Swan already. Looking good Phrasty!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #37
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Hi everyone. Poured with rain all day today.. Didn't really get much done. I did get a new cutting tip for my oxy-fuel torch... was messing with it a bit to see if I could get the hang of cutting with it... Yah... not so easy. Any of you vets out there have any tips on torch cutting? Tip height? Trade secrets as to what to look for?? lol . Eh... Just practice I guess. I ended cutting some steel I had to size for the firebox baffle. Here's a pic of my cuts... Don't laugh!!! (too hard)

Quote:
hardy02ttu Looks good man, something to be proud of!
Thanks

Quote:
2K1TJ Coming along great. What are the dimensions of your tank?
Thanks.. The tank itself is 25" dia. & 84" long. 3/16th thick.

Quote:
Phubar Dang...you're quick bro'!
Very nice work!
Thanks Phubar... Just trying to git her done, get some bigger jobs, throw some PHood on and make some PHunds

Quote:
Stevesonfire! 300 is no problem at all. I usually cook between 225-250 with a good bed of coals and a small fire with the intake choked down to about 1/4 open.
When I start the smoker, I'll let the temp get up to 375-400 degrees to clean it out a bit, then bring it back down to my cooking temp.
Yours is looking great!
Good to know. I'm thinking to make the vents a bit oversized to get the heat flowing a bit better. That be the right train of thought for higher temps, correct?

Quote:
Chef Country i noticed you had the grates what i would call upside down, not trying to tell you how to do you build but i would put the square down and on the inside of you angel iron you could put a small pice of rod 1/2 way out to keep from pulling the grate out to much, then for removal just lift up on the back of the grate a little and you can fully remove, Thats the way I make mine just I would hate to see a grate full of food hit the dirt bc it was pulled out to much
Thanks for the tip... I had them "upright" initially but decided I liked the way it looked "upside-down" a bit better, so I welded the grate pretty well to the frame. I do a lot of individual sausages so the square bar would also act as a lip so they wouldn't roll off. It's all fun and games tim you lose a sausage... you know what I mean.... lol. It will be reversible tho. So I can always flip it back. As for the tray tipping I am going to attach an upper support so that when the tray is out it will be held down at the back with this tab welded on the upper section at the front of the tray slide supports....Does that make sense??

Quote:
txschutte Nice build, Phrasty. The point made about the safety of making sure the LPG is cleared is a great segment. There are places up here that will basically "steam clean" the interior of the tank for a small price.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks Bro. No such luck here... and if you do find someone to clean the tank for you it will be done at a not so small price. You have to improvise. It works. The tank is cut... I'm still here. . In all seriousness tho. I post what I did NOT as a tutorial or advise on "How to" but rather simply... How I do it. Again I will emphasize... Cutting a gas cylinder at all is just not recommended. But if you do it... do it at your own risk. I will also add on a safety note that I cut the tank as soon as the water is emptied. If you wait too long there is a chance that the gas will start leeching out of the metal back into the tank.

Quote:
deguerre I can see the Swan already. Looking good Phrasty!

Thank you!

I'm also building a grill for my neighbor. So I might throw up some pics of that build in here too rather than making another thread. When it rains it pours... 2 builds going at once.

Cheers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-capture-254.jpg (77.6 KB, 1620 views)

Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #38
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Great stuff Phrasty! I'm really impressed so far, and that includes everyone elses suggestions and observations. You all got me feeeling like I need to buy a welder.

And yesterday, I was driving on the freeway.. took an overpass, and there was this huge metal scrap area full of LPG Tanks of all sizes... about 100 of them.. I nearly crashed!

Cheers!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #39
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
As for the tray tipping I am going to attach an upper support so that when the tray is out it will be held down at the back with this tab welded on the upper section at the front of the tray slide supports....Does that make sense??
yeah that sounds like it will work well, that will keep the tray from tiping out and thats all i was worried about, I might have to remodify mine now, The grates look fine the way they are and will work good as a holding rail like that.
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #40
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Great stuff Phrasty! I'm really impressed so far, and that includes everyone elses suggestions and observations. You all got me feeeling like I need to buy a welder.

And yesterday, I was driving on the freeway.. took an overpass, and there was this huge metal scrap area full of LPG Tanks of all sizes... about 100 of them.. I nearly crashed!

Cheers!
Thanks Bro... Knowing you made something is always a great feeling...

Cheers

Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #41
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

i have to ask...are 8' (?) chain link fences topped with barbed/razor wire the norm in jamaica?

nice looking build by the way, should be a real sweet unit when you are done.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #42
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
i have to ask...are 8' (?) chain link fences topped with barbed/razor wire the norm in jamaica?

nice looking build by the way, should be a real sweet unit when you are done.
Lol yeah pretty common!!

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #43
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Got the "scrap steel" for the firebox today basically free. (food payment) It's 5 sheets, 20" x 48" & 1/4" thick, it has a raised diamond pattern & a slight bit of rust on it but nothing structurally wrong... oh did I mention it was free??? Hopefully I can start cutting the firebox pieces out of it tomorrow and assemble over the weekend. Figured I'd make the FB 20"W x 24"D x 24"H. Any thoughts?

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-capture-255.jpg (56.7 KB, 1557 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #44
Denis Allan
Found some matches.

Default Great looking rig..

I have to say.. your doing a good job.. I was looking at the inside edge of the doors.. did you also weld the inside edge.. and if you did.. is it causing you a fit issue with the extra metal inside..

Nice job with the cut off wheel grinder.. makes a great cutting tool..

Denis Allan
Denis Allan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #45
The Frog
Knows what a fatty is.

That thing is really coming along Phrasty. You're going to be done in no time. As an aside, how much do you love your angle grinder? I affectionately refer to mine as The DeWalt. Every time I do any kind of fabrication it figures prominently.

Tags
Phrasty'sbuild