Can This Gasser Be Saved (Or Should It?)

Learnin Querve

Full Fledged Farker
I have an old Sunbeam Gasser that I bought new over 10 years ago. I like it because it's cast aluminum and holds heat very well. It cooks great in the dead of winter and also does very well with a rotisserie. Unfortunately, the bottom half has warped quite a bit. The lid no longer closes over the base without a gap of about an inch. (see the pics below.) That's a yellow broom handle across the front in the first pic to offer a perspective of how much it is warped.

Any of you guys that work with metal have any suggestions? Could it be heated and pulled back in without breaking the casting? Should I even think about it, or just plan to haul it to the scrap metal buyer and be done with it?

I've also been toying with the idea of getting a slab of scrap steel plate, cutting/burning it (crudely) to size, and dropping it in where the grills would sit and use it as an outdoor flat top.

Chris

Attachments

• Gasser1.jpg
    Gasser1.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 194
  • gasser2.jpg
    gasser2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 193
I have a 30 year old "Warm Morning" gasser and it has had several burners and grates replaced over the years but the body is as good as it was when I bought it.:p

Looks like a fire hazard to me.....

Yeah, is that the wood handle in that last picture? Looks like it's taken some heat.

Turn it into a smoker! Seal up the gap, use the gas as a charcoal lighter, and smoke away!!:heh::becky::wink:

I'd hit Lowes and replace it Chris. You can get them pretty cheap now that it's the end of the season.

Turn it into a charcoal grill and just replace it with a new gasser. From what I can see, not worth saving it.

10 years! I'm thinkin you got your money's worth lol. That's how it should be though. The wife and I hauled one around for 12. One night, the burner fell right outta the bottom. Sometimes you just gotta part ways! Kinda hard when your so used to cookin on something. :hurt:

It can be hard to say goodbye to an old friend who you have many memories with. But now is the time to get a deal with all the closeouts and try CL for some serious deals.

Cast metal will crack if forced or bent. My suggestion, BBq tool storage or a dutch oven wind shelter for the sunbeam and get a Weber gasser off Craigslist, deals will come as Summer is winding to an end.

I like the flat top grill idea. I say if the burners work then it can serve a purpose. Burgers on a flat top grill are pretty good eats! If your power ever goes out you can scramble eggs and make bacon. I vote to save it.

Thanks for the replies. I put an ad on CL tonight in the "Items Wanted" for a piece of steel plate. If I get some hits, I'll try the flat top idea. I'll also check with the scrap steel dealer here in town.

I know that the end of season discounts on grills (and parts) are starting, but the low price gassers I've looked at recently are mostly junk. I looked at a used one that a guy advertised on CL that was a year old that was rusting already and still needed new burners.

As for converting to a coal burner, my wife complains that aside from 2 really ugly UDS's, 3 Weber's, and a Smokey Joe are two grills too many. Good thing she hasn't walked out behind the garage and seen the stash of Weber knockoffs hiding there....

Chris

Back