1st comp , going all in

Smokin D@wg@77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
1st comp coming this Friday , Saturday. We went with SRF , by happen chance our meat market was sold out of really good prime briskets , so said heck with it GO BIG or go home. Pork butts are duroc s , had really good luck with these in test cooks. Hate say this will be our 1st SRF , and be at a comp :-D, any tips ? We cook 275.

Last edited:
Be patient, cook it till it probes tender, Nevermind the finishing temp and give it a nice rest. Honestly the best advice I had gotten prior to cooking my first was when you think it's done give it another 20 or 30 minutes. I got a seventh-place call at a larger field contest my first go with srf and haven't looked back.

Good advice above. First time I cooked one years ago was at a contest and we got a call for 8th place in a field of over 50 teams or so. So you can do it!

I typically cook between 16-18 pound SNF briskets at 275 as well. I can have the flat done in 5-6 hours. I do the point another 1-2 hours most times.

Like it has been said, it varies from day to day and brisket to brisket, I don’t worry too much about temps but rather when it lets go and probes tender.

Good luck I hope you kick butt!

Don't forget to have fun!!!!
You are your own worst critic.
It's never as bad as the judges say.
And again HAVE FUN!!!!

Your finish temp might be a little higher (208+) but obviously rely on tenderness. A tip i got that helped me tremendously for cooking SRF/Waygu is to NOT vent. Once your tenderness is there keep it wrapped tight and put in cooler/cambro. Do burp your cambro though every 30 mins or so. My first time out cooking a SRF Gold I got a 2nd place call. Good luck!!

Cook until tender, then go an extra 30 minutes.

Best advice I ever got

You got this! Let us know what happens this weekend

So is this the Plant City Pig Jam on the 23rd? If so I will see you there.

No sir , its a FBA event at camp mack kisssimee. But we will be at Pig Jam , just not competing though

Back