• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

non authentic barbacoa

anamosity

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
On vacation this year, we went through Sal Lake City and ate dinner at a place called Cafe Rio. I had their pork barbacoa burrito smothered in enchilada sauce. It was delicious, so after returning home I set my sights on finding a similar recipe. It was quiet easy to find one. Seems people really love this place. I followed this recipe.
http://heidikins.com/2008/08/29/whippin-it-up-cafe-rio-pork-barbacoa-salad-with-tomatillo-dressing/
Only I cooked the pork to 205 internal on the egg. I then mixed up the required spices and Dr. Pepper and after shredding the pork added all to a Cast Iron pot. I let it simmer at 225 for roughly 90 minutes. Cooked up some rice and pinto beans with Mexican style seasonings. Then made up some burritos. When I was all done, it was just a tiny bit more sweeter than Cafe Rio's version. Other than that it was spot on in my book. I did not use the enchilada sauce. But it was very freaking delicious.

I know its not even close to authentic barbacoa, but it tastes great regardless.

Back