Need help with meat identification (sounds like Miss Ball Breaker from Porky's haha)

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Fellas and Ladies I need some help identifying some meat. I was wanting to cook some CSR's for the first time. Heard other people talk about their cooks and how good they were. Well I went to Wal-Mart and they had two different kinds of what they called CSR's ones from the pork loin and ones from the butt. I got these which were from the pork loin. I am pretty sure these aren't the CSR that others cook. So I am wondering would these be what some people call Loin Back Ribs or what? They are cut up individually as you can see and only one edge has bone on it (the bone is obviously from ribs-looking at it). Any help would be appreciated. Also, where could I get the real CSR if these are not them.

Attachments

• 20200404_155629.jpg
    20200404_155629.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200404_155507.jpg
    20200404_155507.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 106
Those are basically the top front part of a loin pork chop. The bone is a piece of vertebra. Best to grill them hot and fast, perhaps basting with some sauce when they are close to done. Don't overcook them. That light-colored muscle is pork top loin; it will dry out if you take it past 150 F.

Here is the deal, and it's a good story. Terminology is unique to regions.For example... are 'pigs in a blanket' a sausage rolled in a pancake and served at breakfast, or is it a 'cabbage roll' in a tomato sauce gravy?

IpI81Qy.jpg

Gererally speaking... out East, country ribs are cut from the loin (higher on the hog), but not center cuts. Out West, country ribs are cut from the shoulder butt. You'rs are 'loin' country ribs.

Last edited:
Here is the deal, and it's a good story. Terminology is unique to regions.For example... are 'pigs in a blanket' a sausage rolled in a pancake and served at breakfast, or is it a 'cabbage roll' in a tomato sauce gravy?

IpI81Qy.jpg

Gererally speaking... out East, country ribs are cut from the loin (higher on the hog), but not center cuts. Out West, country ribs are cut from the shoulder butt. You'rs are 'loin' country ribs.

I came across that difference when I did my last CSR cook. I noticed all the recipes smoked and then braised the "ribs".

IpI81Qy.jpg

It's not a "good" story for OP. He payed $3.50/lb for $1.99/lb pork loin with a bone attached. I would be furious. Thats the leanest section of meat on the pig.

That said, it clearly says pork loin in smaller print. Its a play on words.

Those are basically the top front part of a loin pork chop. The bone is a piece of vertebra. Best to grill them hot and fast, perhaps basting with some sauce when they are close to done. Don't overcook them. That light-colored muscle is pork top loin; it will dry out if you take it past 150 F.

Yeah I smoked them similar to spares, took them up to probe tender about 180* ish or so and they did tighten up a little during the rest. The exact conversation my wife and I had was that these would def be better being sauced. Now that you mentioned it the bone did look exactly like vertebra, but the dogs loved them haha.

IpI81Qy.jpg

Thanks thirdeye. Appreciate all the knowledge, I never doubted that someone could explain it all and label them. You da man!

It's not a "good" story for OP. He payed $3.50/lb for $1.99/lb pork loin with a bone attached. I would be furious. Thats the leanest section of meat on the pig.

That said, it clearly says pork loin in smaller print. Its a play on words.

I understand what you are saying because I am cheap and don't like overspending if there is no reason. All in all though I got to smoke and eat a new protein that I never had any experience with before. I know I have had much bigger screw ups than $8. You right though some stores will try to get up on you.

Back