Trouble keeping fire

Whodat985

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here’s my problem. Got a side burner old country pit a few weeks ago. First time I cooked I had trouble keeping my fire going without stalling. It would burn to start really well then one time I needed to add wood it was a pain to get it restarted I would have a pile of coals when I added fresh wood . Took for ever. So I came here people suggested to cut the splits smaller I did got a log splitter. Said my wood might still be a little green went get more wood from some one else all suggestions members gave me. I did the smaller splits the diameter of a beer can tried cutting them in half an still would stall. I tried opening the door closing the door nothing works. I’ve tried putting a fan next to the damper. Seemed like it worded but went through a lot of wood an burned hotter An nothing I’m at a lost people. I have a smoke house that has a 55 gallon burn drum with a 6 inch stove pipe running to the smoke house. I can run this house at 300 for 3 days if I want but can’t run this side burning. My god it’s about to go to the road.

What am I doing wrong

You will see a lot of folks talk about using a basket for the fire.all its doing is holding the fire above the ashes when they burn and fall off, no choking the live fire in ashes. are you using a grate or basket or just laying the wood on the bottom of the fire box?

You will see a lot of folks talk about using a basket for the fire.all its doing is holding the fire above the ashes when they burn and fall off, no choking the live fire in ashes. are you using a grate or basket or just laying the wood on the bottom of the fire box?

I started out with a grate. The first time I couldnt get it started I got rid out it and went straight on the bottom of the fire box . In my smoke house it’s on the bottom also an run with no trouble.

Post pics of the wood. 90% of the time it's the wood. I've seen guys with high end cookers struggle and it was the splits being too big. If the wood is really green it may need to be split multiple times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m not familiar with your type of smoker but for mine, that wood still needs to be split in half. My smoker is a decent size (24” x 54”) and my splits are about half that size. If I go bigger it just smolders.

Frustrating when attempting to learn how to master a new skillset.
Live fire management on an offset often requires learning, but once figured out, becomes one of those "duh" moments.

If you have a "bed of coals", and you add wood, and then experience problems getting the newly added wood to catch fire, there are clues there.

If you have waited until the wood you had burning, goes to only coals, then you have waited too long to have added wood. Think of having a lit wooden match, and needing to light another before the first one goes out. Use the flame from the first, to light the second. Burning with a flame should be the goal. Add new wood before you lose the flame.

If you have a "bed of coals", and wood that you add does not catch, then most likely, the newly added wood is simply too big. If I get distracted, and don't add wood, and get left with only a "bed of coals", I know that I have to downsize the new fuel that now has to ignite from the contact with the coals. That can be down to the size of a wooden match, depending on how long I was distracted. Once I get flame from that extra small size wood, I can slowly add slightly larger pieces, until I have a small pile of "flaming" wood burning, that can support ignition of my normal size splits.

Beer can size splits (or larger) added after loss of visible flame, will require a robust coal bed, to self ignite. Go smaller to get your flame back, even if you have to use splinter size to start getting your flame back. Then build slowly back up with burning, yes "flaming" wood. That will then allow your normal size splits to catch from a live fire flame.

Offsets require being attentive to live fire management, more so than is expected by new owners. Until you get some experience, pull up a chair, watch some wood burn, and learn when to add wood, before you lose your flame.

If you get more heat from your burning splits than you want, reduce the size. A small fire burning golf ball size splits will give you less heat that beer can size. Adjust the size of your fuel to match your desired temperature.

Stick burning is not for everybody, primarily because of the attention needed to maintain a live fire. There are fire skills needed, but once you figure it out, well worth it.

Just keeping the flame alive during the cook, will require you to adjust the size and frequency of adding fuel. I leave the door half open on my Old Country offset, and manage my temperatures by the size and amount of the splits used.

I couldn't burn the large size splits you have in the picture in my offset. Downsize, and try splitting that piece in your picture into maybe 3 to 4 pieces.

Last edited:
Frustrating when attempting to learn how to master a new skillset.
Live fire management on an offset often requires learning, but once figured out, becomes one of those "duh" moments.

If you have a "bed of coals", and you add wood, and then experience problems getting the newly added wood to catch fire, there are clues there.

If you have waited until the wood you had burning, goes to only coals, then you have waited to long to have added wood. Think of having a lit wooden match, and needing to light another before the first one goes out. Use the flame from the first, to light the second. Burning with a flame should be the goal. Add new wood before you lose the flame.

If you have a "bed of coals", and wood that you add does not catch, then most likely, the newly added wood is simply to big. If I get distracted, and don't add wood, and get left with only a "bed of coals", I know that I have to downsize the new fuel that now has to ignite from the contact with the coals. That can be down to the size of a wooden match, depending on how long I was distracted. Once I get flame from that extra small size wood, I can slowly add slightly larger pieces, until I have a small pile of "flaming" wood burning, that can support ignition of my normal size splits.

Beer can size splits (or larger) added after loss of visible flame, will require a robust coal bed, to self ignite. Go smaller to get your flame back, even if you have to use splinter size to start getting your flame back. Then build slowly back up with burning, yes "flaming" wood. That will then allow your normal size splits to catch from a live fire flame.

Offsets require being attentive to live fire management, more so than is expected by new owners. Until you get some experience, pull up a chair, watch some wood burn, and learn when to add wood, before you lose your flame.

If you get more heat from your burning splits than you want, reduce the size. A small fire burning golf ball size splits will give you less heat that beer can size. Adjust the size of your fuel to match your desired temperature.

Stick burning is not for everybody, primarily because of the attention needed to maintain a live fire. There are fire skills needed, but once you figure it out, well worth it.

Just keeping the flame alive during the cook, will require you to adjust the size and frequency of adding fuel. I leave the door half open on my Old Country offset, and manage my temperatures by the size and amount of the splits used.

I couldn't burn the large size splits you have in the picture in my offset. Downsize, and try splitting that piece in your picture into maybe 3 to 4 pieces.

Thanks for your help all of what you said makes a lot of sense to me. I sat next to the pit all day long from 5 in the morning till after lunch. To make sure i was able to add when needed. I’m pretty sure my problem was waiting to long like you said . I have 2 thermometer I watch as soon as my digital one starts dropping id open her up an add a split. By that time my pit dropped about 10 degrees an can’t get the next fire started because the fire to start it is gone. But if I add to soon I’m fighting to much heat. Next time I will try splitting the beer can size down again an see if that’ll work. My smoke house I just throw a whole log on after dropping 5 degrees an I’m good.

Just based on the picture and not being able to look at the ends or touch it, that wood looks pretty green to me.

As small of piece I was running today I would almost have to start using chunks. I see people using way bigger piece than I used today. So confused

I'll third the green wood hypothesis. It looks like very recently cut/split hickory. Hickory needs to dry in the sun for about a year before it will burn easily.

Start with chunks and work up in size. Have you measured moisture content?

You probably needed very little wood to run that cooker.

Start with chunks and work up in size. Have you measured moisture content?

You probably needed very little wood to run that cooker.

No just learned you can measure moisture in wood I knew you could in soil I will be going to harbor freight to get one

Are using a raised firegrate.? Pecos ? Preheating splits.? Or even better video it when you add wood........

Back