GMG ribs

chefpyro116

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a couple questions and need some help. I recently smoked some baby backs and they came out dry. My family wasn't happy with my efforts. I'm using a GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker. It was set at 225 F for about 2 hours, then double wrapped in foil with butter and brown sugar, returned for another 45-50 minutes. Then glazed with sauce for 15.

Q1. Am I smoking too hot? Should I lower the temp? I've read on a couple recipes that they run their GMG at 185 F for ribs. I thought that was a bit low.
Q2. How would I get them tender if running the pellet smoker that low?
Q3. I rotate the ribs around and still get burnt on the ends. Should I just trim off the ends cuz they're smaller or leave them?

Any and all tips would be appreciated.
Thanks and Cheers!
Jeremy

sounds like an awful short cooking time, even with being wrapped. Most likely needed more time on the cooker. Were they tender?

sounds like an awful short cooking time, even with being wrapped. Most likely needed more time on the cooker. Were they tender?

What this fine gentleman said. Did you happen to poke them with a toothpick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like not cooked long enough. I cook mine at 225 for 5-6 hours. Never wrap and sometimes spritz. Check you grate temps if you have a couple thermometers. 225 grate temp for me is really a grill setting around 205-210. You may be cooking hotter than you think.

I have cooked ribs on the GMG DB several times. I usually run the temp at 225-250 and do a modified version of the 3-2-1. More like 3-1-1 or something like that. They seem to come out great. Being a current owner of a Daniel Boone that is about 5-6 years old, I will point out that you might not be able to trust the onboard temp that is displayed on the unit. Mine has ALWAYS been wrong and I have just learned to cook with it. I also own a Fireboard, so that is a huge help. If you are trusting the unit, you could possibly be cooking at temps that are quite different than you think...:-o

Just replaced my Boone with a pitts and spitts. Only thing that it hated was baby backs. Found lots of help online and could pull off the 3-2-1 by going down to 180-190. It swings temps WAY too much for 225. When temp swings 30-40 degrees over you ruin the ribs. I found mine kept getting charred on the bottom. 180 was the cure. I know the "prime" boone is suppose to have much better temp control.

Thanks guys. i temp the ribs at 205 with a Thermapen, then wrapped them. And yes they are a little charred on the bottoms and not tender as I’ve done in the past.
I’ll have to check the grate temps next. Then I’ll try running it at 180-185 and see if that helps. I appreciate the help.

I find that my DB runs about 30-50 degrees different from the left side to the right side. Back left corner is the coolest spot, and front right corner is the hottest. I also make sure to rotate the ribs around throughout the wrapping and finishing stages, to try and even them out. The typical temp difference averaged out across the pit, is roughly 20-30 degrees hotter than the unit says it is. I replaced the control board and internal probe, but I get the same results. Figured it would be easier to just work with what I have. Just for the record, GMG customer service was outstanding and did send me free replacement parts when I explained the problems. It didn't solve the problem, but I thought it was pretty stand up of them to try and make me whole. Overall it is a good pit once you learn to work with it.

Similar temp differentials/variances with my GMG DB. Once figured out though, you’ll be golden.

I have a Daniel Boone as well. I cook baby backs at 225 for usually about 5 hours. It has given pretty consistent results. I have had mine for 3 years.

Back