Mini WSM worth it?

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Quick question for you mini WSM owners. I currently have a 18" WSM, but am thinking about building a mini WSM for fuel efficiency, small cooks, and portability.

What I am wondering is if the mini WSM can put out some good BBQ? Obviously it isn't a BGE, but is it worthy of the time and money and capable?

Also, I will likely follow the build instructions on the virtual weber bullet with a smokey joe gold and vasconia steamer. Are there any must make mods anybody would be able to recommend to me?

Thank you very much!

Absolutely, IMO. I use mine for things like MOINK balls, Fatties, meat loafs, ABTs -- all kind of things that cook in an hour or two.

I also have an 18.5 WSM, and it is clearly better for an all-day cook. But, if I want to make a batch of MOINKs and ABTs to munch on, or want to smoke a meat loaf that will be done in an hour, the mini WSM is my go-to cooker.

Mine naturally likes to run at 250 degrees, and it is very steady at that temp. That is perfect for how I use it.

Look at it this way, you can make a few slices of toast in a full-size oven, but a better tool for the job would be a toaster oven. Likewise, you can smoke a couple fatties in a 18.5 WSM, but IMO, a mini-WSM is a better tool for that job.

CD

Short answer: yes.
Longer answer: I've made two- one for me and one for my brother. They're fun to build, relatively cheap, and turn out great BBQ. I've yet to see anyone regret building one. Worst case scenario, you own an $80 smokey joe.

OK folks, I'm going to expose my ignorance here.

You said build your mini WSM, a mini isn't a purchased item?

Dave

OK folks, I'm going to expose my ignorance here.

You said build your mini WSM, a mini isn't a purchased item?

Dave

From what I know you purchase a Smokey Joe (Either Silver or gold, as far as I know both work) then a stock pot (some people use a tamale pot, I'm unsure of the difference) and some hardware.

It's nice for appetizers. I haven't done anything but that in mine so far. It's been more of a novelty than anything. I still like it though.

Well, it's not exactly a true mini-WSM, but just this week I completed this mini-WSM/UDS smoker using a 15 gallon drum instead of a tamale pot. I had to beef up the legs on the Smokey Joe so it can handle the additional weight.
I'm just experimenting at this stage and the barrel is set up as a meat hanger for now.

P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

P1060983_zps75ba63fd.jpg

Last edited:
They make excellent food and i have cooked two 9 lbs. Butts on mine before and they were second to none as far as pulled pork goes

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds great! I can be impulsive when it comes to BBQ so I wanted to make sure it was worth it rather than build one and never use it.

I can be impulsive when it comes to BBQ so I wanted to make sure it was worth it rather than build one and never use it.
I noticed in your signature you also have a Brinkman Gourmet Smoker. Have you modified that yet, as you can turn that thing into a decent smoker.

Ahh yes I haven't changed my signature for a while. I ended up giving that to my brother in law a few years ago.

From what I know you purchase a Smokey Joe (Either Silver or gold, as far as I know both work) then a stock pot (some people use a tamale pot, I'm unsure of the difference) and some hardware.

A few suggestions...

I prefer a SJ Gold, because the side vents can't get clogged with ash, like the single bottom vent does. This matters more, the longer your cook lasts.

picture.php

Also, the difference between a stock pot an a tamale pot is a ridge near the bottom of the tamale pot, that would normally hold a perforated plate for steaming. I use that ridge to support a grate, that holds a pie pan as a drip pan.

picture.php

picture.php

CD

I prefer a SJ Gold, because the side vents can't get clogged with ash, like the single bottom vent does. This matters more, the longer your cook lasts.

I agree, the SJ Gold is a better choice for this mod for ash management, although there are ways to shield the bottom vent of the Silver from ash build up.

Everybody will tell you the mini WSM is worth it! And it is worth the $60 or so bucks it will cost to build it. It is highly fuel efficient and puts out great bbq. Last year I wasnt sure if I was going to enjoy bbq or not and i didnt want to drop a bunch of money on a smoker. So after a bunch of research I found the mini WSM and built myself one for under $60 (found smokey joe on craigslist for $15 and the IMUSA 32quart pot from amazon, 1 rack from clearance at target and nuts/bolts from homedepot. It took no time to put it together.

I haven't looked back with the mini. I use it 1-2 times a week, I have cooked ribs and pork butts in it. I have brought it to my sister's house 4hrs away to do some que, and dragged it around town to help with my buddies labor day bbq.

The low cost of the build, portability, fuel efficiency, and the quality of product it puts out make it 100% without a doubt a great tool to use. You will find that you will use the mini WSM more than you 18in if you do a lot of small cooks. ie 1-2 pork butts, 2 racks of ribs, several fatties, smoking cheese if you get a cold smoke generator, the only thing that I havent done in my mini is a full packer brisket (although several brethren have)

A few suggestions...

Also, the difference between a stock pot an a tamale pot is a ridge near the bottom of the tamale pot, that would normally hold a perforated plate for steaming. I use that ridge to support a grate, that holds a pie pan as a drip pan.

CD
Thanks for the info man. I was wondering about that. I can find stock pots relatively cheap but tamale pots that I could find were running $60 or more.

FYI I'm getting a SJG (gotta love credit card points) soon and am looking to build a mini-WSM for smaller cooks this summer. Plus it should easily convert back to a grill when needed.

If you are going to buy a stock pot locally, be sure to take your Smokey Joe with you to be sure the pot fits in the SJ, and that the SJ lid fits on top of the pot.

The Vasconia is recommended because it is a perfect fit on both ends. The IMUSA can be hit or miss from what I've read.

Enjoy the build and the Mini-WSM.

Back