MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Use coarse salt and black pepper, do not use the white pepper, it is hotter than black. Use these individually and eyeball the coating for each. Sugar can help reduce the heat so either put it on before cooking or use a sweet sauce later.

I have the same conditions at my house half my family can hardly tolerate even black pepper and like myself the rest like it at least warm, so I feel your pain.
Dave

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

You might be able to get hold of a Weber Spice grinder set:

http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/products/web...71--17171.html

This set is a screw on grinder and three jars, the grinder mechanism is ceramic (lifetime guarantee) and can grind from very coarse to very fine.

It comes with three jars you can fill with different spice mixes and swap over onto the grinder mechanism.

And it comes in different colours.
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #33
Mo-Dave

For grinding I have a coffee grinder from Wal Mart but once you grind anything other than coffee beans you won't want to use it for coffee after that.
Dave

Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
... that it always gets too hot for my wife and especially the kids.

I already tried different ratios, starting with 50/50 salt & black pepper and 50/25/25 salt + black pepper + white pepper, but nevertheless it's still too hot for them every time.

What else can I try not letting any other ingredients disturb that simple but effective flavor profile of just salt & pepper?

I guess it doesn't make sense to just reduce the amount of pepper, because then all that remains is the saltiness.
do u wrap, if so, when? that is the main problem with people.... not realizing rubs are optimized for styles.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #35
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I believe pink pepper is not true pepper. Sugar usually is what helps create bark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_peppercorn
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
I never used salt and pepper only rub on pork but I have done so always on brisket. As far as for bark, unless you're using some type of sugar in order promote carmelization, more salt will not have an effect on the amount of bark on your meat. The way this is being used it is more of a seasoning and less of a rub.
Salt & Pepper rubbed Butt "no sugar" bark aint a problem

Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #37
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
do u wrap, if so, when? that is the main problem with people.... not realizing rubs are optimized for styles.
Yes, I usually foil at around IT 165°F, so that's interesting. How are rubs optimized for style? You can't really go wrong with simple salt & pepper, and I did not really try some of the more sophisticated rubs with lots of ingredients (except for that farked up pastrami, for which the rub was one of the problems).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Yep, if it works on beef, it should work on pork as well, and that's what I want to try on my next pork.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #38
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
No fresh peppercorns for grinding? Perhaps the pink or red ones would be more mild. I shudder to think though that if they're bothered by a little piperine, what a goodly dose of capsaicin might do...

i heard that those aren't actually peppercorns, rather a berry. in any event, i love to buy those and the white, red and green from the spice house and mix it up.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #39
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'm a big fan of the 4 color peppercorns freshly ground. But yeah, for salt and pepper rub if they are getting too much zip, back off on the rub a bit. I hate to mention this, but in the recent Franklin video on prepping the brisket, he makes it a point to say don't apply too much rub. (don't hate me PT)

Another thought. People will build up a tolerance for a little heat. So if you feed them a few mild meals, then start to gradually kick it up, they may eventually become converts.

It's a common belief that younger people and children have more sensitive taste buds. As we get into our 20s, the buds start to die off, just like the little hairs inside our ears (cilia). Once they're gone, they don't come back.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #40
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
White pepper is the hot one.
They are the same peppercorns, just different ripeness when picked...and black is the hotter one.
Different peppercorns have different heat profiles but as Boshizzle said, the grind particle size is what you need to focus one here, then volume porportion.
Grind in larger particle sizes for less heat.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #41
landarc

I use a burr grinder designed for coffee, it is small, cheapish and does a fair amount of pepper in no time. I also sift my pepper and get rid of the dust, use only the particles. Of course, since I am using a burr grinder, there is not a lot of waste.

That being said, I really like the blended peppercorns that Kap'n uses, those add some great flavors.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
landarc

I would add, there is a danger in looking at someone who does a lot of BBQ in mass quantities and assuming that everything they do applies to a single piece of meat. If you watch Pitmaster T's videos, he is always cooking for his church, large amounts of meat. he rubs heavily, but, it is what he doesn't say. You can see he handles the meat, like it's meat, not fine china, he uses a lot of rub, but, he does not put the meat right onto the pit, it sits, as he gets everything else done. He cooks hot and direct, this changes how the pepper cooks, and makes it milder.

I would suspect that he has a very different amount of rub on his meat, and a very different grade of pepper in there as well. A person who is cooking 30 briskets a day is not grinding fresh Tellicherry pepper each day, he is using food service black pepper, 16 screen, straight from the bottle. Right there, is a big difference. I would bet that Aaron Franklin doesn't really do what he showed in that video when he is burning 45 to 60 briskets a day either.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #43
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
Yes, I usually foil at around IT 165°F, so that's interesting. How are rubs optimized for style? You can't really go wrong with simple salt & pepper, and I did not really try some of the more sophisticated rubs with lots of ingredients (except for that farked up pastrami, for which the rub was one of the problems).

Yep, if it works on beef, it should work on pork as well, and that's what I want to try on my next pork.

First.... sugar is what you use when your process does not create a bark naturally.

353209570_b19d563ecb.jpg
smittys_food.jpg
Non sugar rubs and what they can produce.

Copy of VID00078 005_0001.jpg

This picture shows how much damn rub I put on my briskets. Lots of salt and pepper. When done according to my non wrap until after the stall style, I have NO problems with salt or pepper (heat content).... but

If you try wrapping at the wrong time its a disaster.... salt is retained, pepper never loses its heat.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #44
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post

Right - my point is that increasing or decreasing the salt itself will not have an effect on carmelization and bark - use the salt as a seasoning.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #45
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

My wife can not tolerate pepper because of a specific stomach condition, my solution- season her meats with only granulated garlic and granulated onion, I like it, too, on chicken.
Another solution may be to use "Grains of Paradise" , something I want to try but haven't yet. Supposed to be pepperlike with other qualities that add more flavor.
Here's a link to an article on it-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aframomum_melegueta
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote