MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #106
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbutts View Post
I just love this little cooker it has been getting a lot of use lately.
Attachment 71144Attachment 71145
Forget the WSM mini. I want some info and more pictures of that yellow alien in the corner. Yellow was my favorite when I was a kid. Maybe I should paint my WSM Mini yellow.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #107
sparky66
On the road to being a farker

I'm getting ready to build mine and am wondering what most people find to be effective when cutting out the tamale pot bottom. Cutting out one big hole or drilling multiple holes? Also, clay pot or other?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #108
aawa
Babbling Farker

I cut mine out. This gives you the option to use the steamer insert as a difuser, which will allow you to get higher heats. Or you can put a grate in place and put a terracotta saucer on the grate which will help keep a lower temperature.

I have run my mini with the terracotta saucer and with the tamale insert. I prefer the tamale insert and just have a pie tin for a drip pan and control the temperatures via the dampers.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #109
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky66 View Post
I'm getting ready to build mine and am wondering what most people find to be effective when cutting out the tamale pot bottom. Cutting out one big hole or drilling multiple holes? Also, clay pot or other?

Thanks

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole and then used my jigsaw with a metal blade and it took about 30 seconds / Seriously
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #110
tbutts

Quote:
I just love this little cooker it has been getting a lot of use lately.
<br />
<br />
Forget the WSM mini. I want some info and more pictures of that yellow alien in the corner. Yellow was my favorite when I was a kid. Maybe I should paint my WSM Mini yellow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348951175.023723.jpg
The yellow cooker in the corner is smokezilla. A 120 gallon propane tank I built last year. It has 3 sliding shelves plus a shelf for a heat diverter and charcoal basket in the bottom My UDS is bride of smokezilla and the mini is spawn of smokezilla.
tbutts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #111
tbutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbutts View Post
<br />
<br />
Attachment 71277
The yellow cooker in the corner is smokezilla. A 120 gallon propane tank I built last year. It has 3 sliding shelves plus a shelf for a heat diverter and charcoal basket in the bottom My UDS is bride of smokezilla and the mini is spawn of smokezilla.
The paint job is black and gold for my Missouri tigers.
tbutts is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #112
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky66 View Post

Thanks
I cut out the bottom with some wiss snips and sized an expanded metal charcoal basket to just fit the hole allowing mounding of charcoal in the ring. I never had used a clay saucer in my WSM but my mini WSM with clay saucer convinced me to convert.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #113
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals
Default My Weber Smoke'r' Joe mini WSM

Here's my build. Finished it a few weeks ago, just now getting to posting the pix. I opted to cut out the lid and attach it to the bottom of the tamale pot. Glad I did that, because the day after my first smoke (2 racks of ribs... delish!), I picked up a CL 16 gallon steel drum . The mini w/ the lid attached rests perfectly on top of it. Extended mUDS?

It was a fun build, and definitely worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04622.jpg (42.5 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04624.jpg (34.5 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04626.JPG (57.9 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04627.JPG (58.2 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04710.jpg (45.4 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04711.JPG (58.0 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04714.JPG (58.6 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04715.JPG (59.5 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04742.jpg (44.2 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04775.jpg (43.9 KB, 435 views)

Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #114
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I have been smoking on one of these little guys and they are truly amazing. I am very new to smoking, only four smokes ever and the last two were on this little guy and the other two on a Brinkmann electric (Don't shoot me for using electric, I didn't know any better! LOL) While my pastrami turned into leather and the spare ribs were too fall off the bone tender, it wasn't the smokers fault. It was all due to my huge learning curve on smoking low and slow vs. grilling meat hot and fast.

These things are so darn cheap too! Amazing how you can make a little smoker for that price. Anyone else think that you could probably make barbecue as good on this thing as you could a $2000 large smoker?

Anywho, here a picture of mine. I added one of the Weber kettle grille utensil holders to the side and I only had to reshape it to fit the smaller circumference of the the tamale pot. I currently don't have a lower rack, only the one that is about 3 1/2" from the top of the pot. My question is though, if I rest a grate on top of the 12" terra cotta saucer, will the saucer radiate a lot of heat to the meat on the lower grate compared to the top grate? Seems like it being so close to the terra cotta would make it cook a whole lot faster. Anyone had problems with this happening and the meat cooking too fast down low when cooking exactly the same cuts? I guess this wouldn't be a problem if your cooking a chicken and a pork butt, but I don't usually mix cuts like that.

My pot only has holes drilled in it exactly like the steamer insert has that comes with the pot, not the entire bottom cut out, and my saucer is sitting on that elevated about 1/2" off the bottom holes with a little wire stand.

BTW, the smoker temp gauge is from a Masterbuilt smoker that was on display at Bass Pro. I asked the guy if they had any extra therms and he unscrewed it and gave it to me. He said the displays always end up getting chunked or sent back to the manufacturer when they quit selling them so take it for free. Thought that was nice, and hopefully the therms that come with Masterbuilt's square smokers are accurate and reliable.

The handle on the lower vent is a handle off of a cheap Harbor Freight side grinder that I botched for this. It was only $20 and I've had it forever, and if I ever need to use one I can just take the handle off my Makita since it fits the threads. No reason to ever use the cheap one though when you have a nice Makita on hand. :) The cheap handle fit right into the hole I drilled so there was no need for a bolt on the backside, and pretty nice since the handle was the metal flange and threads already on it, no mods required.
rcbaughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #115
davefan360
Take a breath!

Default here is mine

I built this one for my buddy for his first grill/smoker. I was going to just use the drum but then I thought what the heck, cut out the bottom and that way he has to bring the whole thing, and he can use it as a grill or smoker. I painted it black and lime green to match his Jeep. He loves it and now wants me to add another grate so there will be 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007 - Copy.jpg (68.8 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (24.8 KB, 363 views)

Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #116
newsushi
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan360 View Post
I built this one for my buddy for his first grill/smoker. I was going to just use the drum but then I thought what the heck, cut out the bottom and that way he has to bring the whole thing, and he can use it as a grill or smoker. I painted it black and lime green to match his Jeep. He loves it and now wants me to add another grate so there will be 2
I was looking to make a mini uds, but I couldn't find a small barrel so I switched gears to a mini wsm. Looks like you just combined both of those ideas. Lookin' good!
newsushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #117
staypuft
Found some matches.

Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.7 KB, 306 views)
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #118
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Best thread ever!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #119
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Best thread ever!
Hear, hear!
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #120
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's my Smoken Homer:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350533044.575321.jpg

Tags
appreciation threads