Great American BBQ Tour @ Big Apple Block Party?

The Giggler

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am interested in knowing why the Great American BBQ Tour is making a singular stop at the Big Apple Block Party in NYC, which is a public vending event, and isn't stopping at any of the many KCBS Sanctioned State Championships in the Northeast?

I realize that corporate marketing is most likely being given the most consideration here. Seriously, with all the other Northeast KCBS events that bring out the public, judges, and teams in a big way, the only stop is in NYC?

Respectfully,

You sure? I thought they were going to be at Wildwood.

200,000 spectators over the course of 2 days means a lot of advertising for KCBS and their sponsors.
Name one KCBS event in the Northeast that will draw that many people.

I know its about exposing the masses to the sponsor's products, and you can argue with the draw the Big Apple Block Party gets. I would like to know why the only Northeast stop for the Tour is at a vending event in NYC, and not at a single KCBS Sanctioned Event in the same region?

200,000 spectators over the course of 2 days means a lot of advertising for KCBS and their sponsors.
Name one KCBS event in the Northeast that will draw that many people.

Yeah - yeah - yeah, I get the marketing aspect of Big Apple. :thumb:

As it pertains to KCBS, the growth the organization has enjoyed in the Northeast has come at the grass roots level through cooks, judges, and organizers. If they are intersted in bolstering and growing membership, how many of those 200,000+ spectators are going to join the organization, attend a cookoff, form a cook team, or become a certified judge?

Contests with large public support - Roc City Ribfest, Hudson Valley Ribfest, Harpoon.... One might argue that the folks visiting these events might be a more focused demographic to market bbq related products.

These are questions for the corporate big-wigs who put the Great American BBQ Tour together.
It seems to me that they try to make a limited number of stops throughout the bbq season and the stops are at big named events that draw a lot of spectators.

These are questions for the corporate big-wigs who put the Great American BBQ Tour together.
It seems to me that they try to make a limited number of stops throughout the bbq season and the stops are at big named events that draw a lot of spectators.

I thought KCBS put together the Great American BBQ Tour?

From the KCBS Website - "KCBS & Our National Partners Proudly Present."

I guess that answers that. I didn't drink my Ginseng Tea today. Carry on.

Last edited:
From the KCBS Website - "KCBS & Our National Partners Proudly Present."

I guess that answers that. I didn't drink my Ginseng Tea today. Carry on.

The tour is put together by MMA. The Marketing Company for KCBS. Some sponsors request being at certain events as part of their sponsorship as well.

Back