Play-Off Carnitas

Cracklin Jeorge

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well it's about 19° degrees out. The Bengals are in the Play-Offs for the first time in 19 years and I've got a ticket. Sounds like a good time to fire up Cephus and make about 19 Carnitas for tailgating!

Now to be clear, I am not of Spanish or Mexican origin, I have never made carnitas before — I have eaten them once or twice; so technically I have as much experience with Carnitas as the Bengals have with Post-Season Play.

This should be good. (Pron to follow)

Here's some process Pron.

First I stewed some apples, onions and garlic with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon.
Sauce1.jpg

I reduced that down until thick
Sauce2.jpg

Then I added some BBQ Sauce, Red Pepper, Sriracha, and Beef Stock.
Sauce3.jpg

Then I got Cephus up to about 550° and heated and Seared all sides of the Pork Loin; seasoned with Adobo & Dizzy Dust
Loin1.jpg
Returned the egg to about 300° and roast away.

I have made it a few time first i smoke my butt to around 150 then fried in lard in a 12 qt dutch oven

In that I'm short on time and flying without a net I'm skipping the Lard frying step, something my health conscience friends will be happy about. Instead I intend to shred the pork and return it to the egg at very high heat, 500+° until it's just starting to get crispy.

Here's the loin ready to rest before shredding.
Loin2.jpg

Looks good from where I'm sitting. Don't know about authentic or not. We have an Arizona member who has a wife...

Sounds like someone who would really know their Adobo.
This time I think I'll pass of fail all on my own, thanks.

Not trying to sound arrogant it's just that sometimes it's better to live and learn. They may not be Carnitas but they won't suck. (I hope) ;)

Sounds like someone who would really know their Adobo.
This time I think I'll pass of fail all on my own, thanks.

Not trying to sound arrogant it's just that sometimes it's better to live and learn. They may not be Carnitas but they won't suck. (I hope) ;)

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post, it wasn't a jab at you or your food at all.

I think what you're making is awesome.

Man I wish I got to eat good looking carnitas like that while my team got spanked in the playoffs, but alas the 9er's couldn't win enough games to even go...

I have never had them but it looks delicious. The sauce has a lot of great flavors in there. Nice!

Good luck and Go [Insert Local Professional Sports Franchise Here]!

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post, it wasn't a jab at you or your food at all.

I think what you're making is awesome.

Ahh Hail No, my skin is thicker than fat back!

But I do recall tale of an Adobo thread and well... I wanted to make it clear that I knew nothing of Carnitas other than the hand full of recipes I scanned this morning and what I've consumed in Mexican/American restaurants.:oops:

We're all good Mr Grail. I hope I did not offend any authentic Adobe makers out there either. My apologies if I did.

Man I wish I got to eat good looking carnitas like that while my team got spanked in the playoffs, but alas the 9er's couldn't win enough games to even go...

Thanks. I dipped a little of the shredded pork in the sauce and Man It taste good, whatever it is.

Last edited:
You don't need to be Mexican or of Spanish origin, you just need to have a degree in Spanish..............Ask Rick!:wink:

Look good to me. I'd hit em. Never had them with the sweet note of apples in the background, but pork and apples go so well together!! Go Cowboys!!!:twisted:

i'll be watching the bengals from my couch while wearing a sears poncho. :biggrin:

you can't go wrong with pork butt, no matter what you call it. Nice job. Notice you at cincy I'm about 180 mi south of you

Back