Thanksgiving Turkey from my new 30 Gallon UDS

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
bg5ock.jpg

Served with homemade mash potatoes, dressing from scratch, and homemade gravy from stock I made with the back after I spatchcocked the turkey.

Looks great.

I spatch all of my poultry.

Awesome :)

Hey I also served some sweet dinner rolls with the dinner, using an old family recipe called "Penny Rolls".

I'll share the recipe with you all. (Everybody loves these rolls) :
----------------------
PENNY ROLLS

Ingredients:
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup shortening (Crisco), room temperature
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water; lukewarm
1 package active dry yeast
all purpose flour
butter (optional brushing); melted

Directions:
Combine the beaten eggs and room temperature shortening in a very large bowl (a bowl large enough to hold all the risen dough), and whip into a cream--I use a hand blender for this.

In a separate bowl combine the salt and sugar (I use a whisk).

Then combine the salt & sugar mixture with the egg and shortening mixture, using a stand or hand mixer.

Then add the water & yeast mixture (proofed if you like for 10-15 minutes). All the fat will float to the top of the water & yeast mixture, this is okay.

Now you want to start adding the flour to the bowl. Add enough flour to where you can start kneading it (in the bowl) without it being too sticky. Knead in this bowl, adding flour as necessary, for about 5 to 10 minutes. (I only knead mine for like 2 or 3 minutes.) Form into a shiny skinned smooth ball and cover with a light film of oil.

Let rise an hour or longer to double, in the large bowl. Punch down the dough and fold it a few times.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Pinch off dough for each of the rolls (dividing it into 16 equal portions). Knead/fold each roll dough a few times, forming it into a ball. Place in well oiled 9x13 baking pan (coat each roll dough with a light amount of oil as well.). Arrange them so they are just touching each other in the pan. Let rise for 1/2 hour in the baking pan, with a towel or plastic wrap over the top.

Bake until golden brown on the top--around 30 to 35 minutes.

When done brush some butter over the tops of the rolls (optional).

Let them cool down for an hour (or longer) before eating.

(Side Note: old family recipe calls for 1/2 cup Crisco, but I use 50/50 Crisco/Butter. I tried 100% butter before and it just doesn't come out right, but 1/2 butter gives it a nice taste and prefer it this way.)

Looks Good. Why'd you Spatchcock? Shorter cook time?

It cooks more evenly and I get the caramelization and mallaird reaction going on on the inside as well as outside. Plus I can (and did) make turkey stock from the back bone (and neck bone) while the turkey smokes. Then I make gravy from it later, and some to homemade dressing as well.

Back