Pork Tenderloin

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
An upcoming competition has pork tenderloin as one of the meats, and I have a couple of questions for you guys and gals.

- I normally grill tenderloins until they are around 140* internal, rest 10 minutes, slice and eat. They have a pink center, which is what I like but it freaks my mother-in-law out. Do I need to worry about judges not thinking it's cooked to a safe temperature if it still has some pink? Or should I take a conservative approach and cook it longer.

- I get good results on the grill and I've never put one in a smoker. Is it worth the effort for such a short cook time?

Thanks

Pat

I'd cook a pork loin, with a bone on.... Not sure how I would know that though... :icon_shy

I like pork medium also. We had duck in a comp once and I went to the rep and she made sure she announced to the judges that it is ok to eat duck med rare. Pork I know is a little different, I would cook for the masses and maybe go med well, but no more then that.

I wouldnt take it too much past 140. Give em a good long rest - like 30 minutes. And you could put a light sauce on each slice which would mask a bit of pink in the center.

An upcoming competition has pork tenderloin as one of the meats, and I have a couple of questions for you guys and gals.

- I normally grill tenderloins until they are around 140* internal, rest 10 minutes, slice and eat. They have a pink center, which is what I like but it freaks my mother-in-law out. Do I need to worry about judges not thinking it's cooked to a safe temperature if it still has some pink? Or should I take a conservative approach and cook it longer.

- I get good results on the grill and I've never put one in a smoker. Is it worth the effort for such a short cook time?

Thanks

Pat

Agreed!
I wouldnt take it too much past 140. Give em a good long rest - like 30 minutes. And you could put a light sauce on each slice which would mask a bit of pink in the center.

I'd cook a pork loin, with a bone on.... Not sure how I would know that though... :icon_shy
I wasn't sure if you could do loin - application looks like you have a choice, which is kind of odd. I'll have to get clarification on that.

Can you wrap the loin, if so I have a killer recipe.

Sure, please share.

That makes sense, thanks. Would you rest it wrapped tightly?

I agree. See if you can mask it a bit with some sauce.

I wouldn't want to serve it with a pink center, but I wouldn't want to overcook it either.

I seem to recall seeing Alton Brown do some sort of 3 step loin cook that looked good: marinade then foil then grilling (might ought to google that one)

When I cooked it at this contest, I brought it to 140. They bombed me.... Then again, I have had good success cooking them the exact same way at Qlossal....

Remember that this contest has a lot of cooks that are very very critical. Is all I can tell you Pat. Probably why I wash dishes for teams now....

FWIW you can cook tenderloin or loin.

For Fire on Ice which we cook loin - Med did not score as well as med/well. Some really nice boxes using a french but bone from a bone in loin. Light sauce also scored well. Winter contests rule.

Back