MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner
Default Ribs, to glaze or not to glaze

Guy's, without giving away any secrets, what do most of you use to glaze your ribs during that cruicial last hour or so? I have been using Blue's Hog cut with a little water and honey. Litteraly this is one of the best bbq sauces I have ever tasted but for some reason I just don't think it's worked for me in comp. I don't know if it's something im doing wrong or if I should leave out the honey or water or both or switch completely. Anyone have any suggestions??

[Moderator note: Moved to Competition forum for better exposure]

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Probably the color that's hurting you. How were your taste scores compared to your appearace?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Probably the color that's hurting you. How were your taste scores compared to your appearace?
Honestly, I think the color is better. Here's the thing. Blue's Hog is pretty sweet already but you need that touch of honey to give it a good shine. Maybe this is whats screwing with the taste. It might be just too sweet. I cooked up a few slabs last night for practice. They were very good but everyone agreed that good isn't gonna cut it. We need fall out of the chair good. I think everything else is there but im definitley thinking about switching sauces.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers

Old 03-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
Honestly, I think the color is better. Here's the thing. Blue's Hog is pretty sweet already but you need that touch of honey to give it a good shine. Maybe this is whats screwing with the taste. It might be just too sweet. I cooked up a few slabs last night for practice. They were very good but everyone agreed that good isn't gonna cut it. We need fall out of the chair good. I think everything else is there but im definitley thinking about switching sauces.
Our ribs for comp are straight forward... Blues Hog Rub, Blues Hog sauce with honey. I ain't giving away any secrets because A LOT of teams around here are doing the same thing.

Try cutting you BH with apple juice instead of honey. I think part of the problem is that it gets too thick with the sweet sauce and sweet honey. It can candy instead of caramelize.

Are you cooking spares or baby backs?

I think you gotta cook for your region, too. So don't stray too far from a KC style sauce, IMHO.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

You might be saucing too soon. i wouldn't sauce until the last 15-20 minutes.

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

I didn't realize there were so many people using Blue's Hog. I'll have to check the stuff out. I put a glaze on mine, only because I notice most other folks are.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Another thing you may try is to put the sauce on for a shorter period of time. If you pout it on and cook for an hour try putting it on and cook for 1/2 hour...15 minutes...or right before turn-in.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigBoy View Post
You might be saucing too soon. i wouldn't sauce until the last 15-20 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
Another thing you may try is to put the sauce on for a shorter period of time. If you pout it on and cook for an hour try putting it on and cook for 1/2 hour...15 minutes...or right before turn-in.
There's an echo in here.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
VGuilford
is Blowin Smoke!

Next time yu need a taste tester let me know. I live in raymore can be there in 15 min.
www.moocowbbq.com
KCBS CBJ
Texas Smoker
Oklahoma Joe Original
Vermont Castings Gasser
Turkey fryer
Little Smokey Joe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MoFo Chapter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VGuilford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Our ribs for comp are straight forward... Blues Hog Rub, Blues Hog sauce with honey. I ain't giving away any secrets because A LOT of teams around here are doing the same thing.

Try cutting you BH with apple juice instead of honey. I think part of the problem is that it gets too thick with the sweet sauce and sweet honey. It can candy instead of caramelize.

Are you cooking spares or baby backs?

I think you gotta cook for your region, too. So don't stray too far from a KC style sauce, IMHO.
Hey thanks Plowboy. Yeah the honey makes it super-thick so thats why I usually cut it with some water. In knew this would be a sensitive area and some wouldn't be able to comment but I thought what the heck so any info is appreciated. I don't use Blues Hog rub just the sauce and boy.....is it a good sauce. That's why I just can't see why i think there is something missing but there is. i can tell. Im either doing something I shouldnt or not doing something I should because it tastes different when the ribs come off.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers

Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
Yeah, maybe thats another reason. I do usualy go at least 45 minutes but again...that could be screwing with the taste.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers

Old 03-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaGrillBillies View Post
I didn't realize there were so many people using Blue's Hog. I'll have to check the stuff out. I put a glaze on mine, only because I notice most other folks are.
If you have never had it I would order a jar. It's really unique..probably one of the most unique sauces I have ever tried. It's excellent on ribs.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers

Last edited by Mooner; 03-29-2007 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGuilford View Post
Next time yu need a taste tester let me know. I live in raymore can be there in 15 min.
Haha, deal!

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers

Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
If you have never had it I would order a jar. It really unique..probably one of the most unique sauces I have ever tried. It's excellent on ribs.
I've heard that over and over and just PM'd Plowboy as we are in need of a better rib sacue for comps. I'd much rather a Brethern brother get some of my money than someone else.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
TygerSmokes
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Between the brown sugar, corn syrup, and molasses, I think Blues Hog is already sweet enough. On my first cook with ribs, I added honey and nearly got a cavity from the sweetness! Straight sauce seems to taste just fine. If anything, I would add a hint more hotness.

BGE Large
Weber Q220
Trager BBQ126 (Build-In)

[B]One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.[/B]
TygerSmokes is offline   Reply With Quote