MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #91
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlertx View Post
How about this one:

It's a BEAST!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #92
Fwismoker

We're having a meat hanging or spinning throw down starting Friday.... Hang it or spin it!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=214575

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #93
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Hope you're joking...the meats you can turn out in roti baskets, different meat on forks and other roti attachments are incredible. Garrett is a big roti fan but he's showing off his caveman prowess. ;)
You inspired me. It's rough, but one wrecked road sign, and some scavenging in the basement locating stuff from past grills resulted in this.

Nothing to cook on it at the moment, but I need to go grocery shopping anyway.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #94
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
You inspired me. It's rough, but one wrecked road sign, and some scavenging in the basement locating stuff from past grills resulted in this.

Nothing to cook on it at the moment, but I need to go grocery shopping anyway.
That's freaking awesome! I can't wait to get a closer look at the homemade baskets too and see some food tumbling in them. lol

Old 07-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #95
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
That's freaking awesome! I can't wait to get a closer look at the homemade baskets too and see some food tumbling in them. lol
The baskets were purchased decades ago by my father. I'm in my 60's, and I can remember them being used when I was in my teens.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #96
dadsr4

I never realized that the round baskets were rare. I just Googled them, and those listed seen to be out of stock. Being able to tumble chicken parts is the biggest reason I want a rotisserie.
They have been discussed in the past here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=roun...hUJUogKHVV3ANs

Old 07-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #97
Fwismoker

Quote:
The baskets were purchased decades ago by my father. I'm in my 60's, and I can remember them being used when I was in my teens.
Way cool! What a great way to carry on your Dad's tradition using the same equipment he used.

Quote:
I never realized that the round baskets were rare. I just Googled them, and those listed seen to be out of stock. Being able to tumble chicken parts is the biggest reason I want a rotisserie.
They have been discussed in the past here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=roun...hUJUogKHVV3ANs
Yes they are, the hexagon shaped are more common today.

I saw a great basket at a rotisserie product company that they don't sell much of because they are so expensive to make but it's really cool. It is a very nice heavy duty cylindrical stainless that adjusts from big down to basically a flat basket...also does kabobs. I might end up getting one if i can get a discount on it.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #98
Fwismoker

Some hanging and spinning.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #99
Larred
On the road to being a farker

Did some wings for the Grand Kids at camp

IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg

No plated pics, we just ate them
Larred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #100
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

When I bulit my new barrel in '13, I used the tutorial from this site. But, I still wanted to be able to hang tritip, chicken, etc. So I drilled holes just under the top rim. which double as exhaust and rod holders. Ceramic magnets cover them at the end of the cook.

I've never used a diffuser plate when cooking meat, the more drippings vaporized by the coals, the better. But, when using the grates, I do use a pizza stone under pans of beans or vegetables.

This was the debut of the new UDS, cooking hanging halved chicken, for about 40 of my fishing buddies.

But, it's really nice to have a grate, we do a lot of fishing.

And our current new favorite, corned beef with smoked cabbage. It's not just for St. Pat's day anymore!

Lastly, I have an extra barrel on hand, and want to add a removable section, that will stack on top. Room for 3-4 more racks, and a rotisserie. Seems somewhere on this site, I'd seen it, Just haven't found it yet.

Last edited by StanDaMan79; 08-03-2015 at 03:18 PM..
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #101
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan79 View Post
When I bulit my new barrel in '13, I used the tutorial from this site. But, I still wanted to be able to hang tritip, chicken, etc. So I drilled holes just under the top rim. which double as exhaust and rod holders. Ceramic magnets cover them at the end of the cook.

I've never used a diffuser plate when cooking meat, the more drippings vaporized by the coals, the better. But, when using the grates, I do use a pizza stone under pans of beans or vegetables.

This was the debut of the new UDS, cooking hanging halved chicken, for about 40 of my fishing buddies.

But, it's really nice to have a grate, we do a lot of fishing.

And our current new favorite, corned beef with smoked cabbage. It's not just for St. Pat's day anymore!

Lastly, I have an extra barrel on hand, and want to add a removable section, that will stack on top. Room for 3-4 more racks, and a rotisserie. Seems somewhere on this site, I'd seen it, Just haven't found it yet.
Wow that's AWESOME! I'd sure like to fish and party with you guys! Looks like about 9 birds on there too..that's a ton of chicken!

I like the 2 rebar or 3 rebar setup....it gives you extra exhaust and I really like that. Smoke needs an easy escape and that's perfect. If I'm not mistaken you have a drum with horseshoes sitting next to that.

The only time I like a grate/ diffuser is for those pork butts i hung because it helped with grease fire flashing and made a nice safety net because i don't want to pull them and wrap.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #102
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Wow that's AWESOME! I'd sure like to fish and party with you guys! Looks like about 9 birds on there too..that's a ton of chicken!

I like the 2 rebar or 3 rebar setup....it gives you extra exhaust and I really like that. Smoke needs an easy escape and that's perfect. If I'm not mistaken you have a drum with horseshoes sitting next to that.
the horseshoe handle is my old one, its about 15 years old. It has 4 rods, and will easily accommodate 14 halves. My UDS, only 3, as I was not thinking that drilling the holes evenly spaced around the perimeter, was not going to lend itself to proper placement of the rods, but not being nice and parallel has not effect on the cooking, lol. This particular cook, I ordered the chicken halves from my local meat market, and they are smaller then the grocery store whole fryers, so I think I did get nine birds in the UDS, and 12 in Old Betsy

Old Betsy, in all her glory

In its winter coat, keeps the winter cook times somewhere near normal. thats just kraft paper backed R-30.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #103
Fwismoker

Quote:
the horseshoe handle is my old one, its about 15 years old. It has 4 rods, and will easily accommodate 14 halves. My UDS, only 3, as I was not thinking that drilling the holes evenly spaced around the perimeter, was not going to lend itself to proper placement of the rods, but not being nice and parallel has not effect on the cooking, lol. This particular cook, I ordered the chicken halves from my local meat market, and they are smaller then the grocery store whole fryers, so I think I did get nine birds in the UDS, and 12 in Old Betsy

Old Betsy, in all her glory

In its winter coat, keeps the winter cook times somewhere near normal. thats just kraft paper backed R-30.

I'll tell you one thing i really like about Betsy is that the rebar lifts out. When I hung 4 butts Saturday I had to lift them out all together because they started to fall off the hooks trying to pull one by one.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #104
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I'll tell you one thing i really like about Betsy is that the rebar lifts out. When I hung 4 butts Saturday I had to lift them out all together because they started to fall off the hooks trying to pull one by one.
That is a real plus, but it kills your ability to snuff out your lump if you don't use it all. My firebasket holds 20lbs, and will last a couple cooks.

But, I'm thinking now, that an inner ring could be fastened, the slots cut, with the idea that the inner ring could rotate and shut off the draft. Interesting...

But, I don't think butts benefit from hanging like ribs do. butts sit on a rack like they would hang, meaning its still a big block of meat. but ribs hanging really take advantage of the convection effect of a barrel. Same with chicken halves and tri tips. I tried to hang whole yardbirds, what a fail that was, They both fell off the double hook set I used on each. I noticed an sudden increase in smoke coming out of the barrel as they approached the finish, i walked out to check, lifted the lid, in time to see the second bird fall. That's why i want the rotisserie.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #105
Fwismoker

Quote:
That is a real plus, but it kills your ability to snuff out your lump if you don't use it all. My firebasket holds 20lbs, and will last a couple cooks.

But, I'm thinking now, that an inner ring could be fastened, the slots cut, with the idea that the inner ring could rotate and shut off the draft. Interesting...

But, I don't think butts benefit from hanging like ribs do. butts sit on a rack like they would hang, meaning its still a big block of meat. but ribs hanging really take advantage of the convection effect of a barrel. Same with chicken halves and tri tips. I tried to hang whole yardbirds, what a fail that was, They both fell off the double hook set I used on each. I noticed an sudden increase in smoke coming out of the barrel as they approached the finish, i walked out to check, lifted the lid, in time to see the second bird fall. That's why i want the rotisserie.
Oh you gotta do the rotisserie. My wood fired barrel roti is the bomb...so much fun to use.

Butts i can hang in my small jimmy cooker ( about the size of a wsm 18 ) and i can cook over 400 in that and finish in 5 to 5.5 hours...LOVE it! They are the best butts yet i think. Can't beat 5 1/2 hours for four 11 pounders! I couldn't have done near as good on a grate. Edit: I forgot to say i cut off the fat cap too since it isn't needed and gives some added bark. yummy

I like the collar idea to shut it off. For me laying the bars over the top and putting the lid on has worked really good and it gets great exhaust, I do that mainly on my jumbo mini aka jimmy for butts and a few other cooks.

Last edited by Fwismoker; 08-03-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Tags
fire pits, hanging without horseshoes, meat hanging, non PBC, PBC, rotisserie, spinning