MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Part Time BBQ Vending?

I have a few passions, Photography and BBQ are a couple and I have been a full time Photographer / Videographer for several years with a successful business. I love doing that but each year the business is going down. Nothing you can do about it, the digital era and prosumer electronics has taken its coarse. I have so many friends and peers that are out of business its not funny.

I am still doing well, but need to find a way to supplement our income in the next couple years. My BBQ has been a huge hit for friends and family, here in rural pa. BBQ is un heard of.

I realize that pleasing friends and family is not like dealing with the public, heck, I deal with them every day and have a long background in sales.

I also know there is a learning curve, HD to deal with and start up expenses.

I feel if I can make $5000.00-$10000.00 a year it would be a huge help.

I am usually steady with photography from June - October, but then very slow until summer again. I would have plenty of time over Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super Bowl etc.

I also have breaks in between customers and can be flexible with my scheduling.

I could easily take of some big BBQ weekends etc and wondering if the numbers I mentioned above are realistic after a year or two?

I am not looking for a get rich quick gig, or to make a big profit year 1, just a way to supplement my income a little more each year.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm planning a catering / vending class for this September. I'll finalize by end of June. BIG events are hard to find. Vending can be risky (we had one this weekend that broke even after help was paid). Catering is getting more competitive. BUT, it can be done. We've done well for 6 years now. We have fed 7, yes 7, for a wealthy guys poker party (paid WELL) and we've done 1600. This business dies January - March. We make several times what you deem a huge help. Time, money, committment and a strong base of knowledge will pull you through. We started shoestring, and had an initial outlay of roughly $10k not counting a tow vehicle and we worked "under the radar".
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I'm planning a catering / vending class for this September. I'll finalize by end of June. BIG events are hard to find. Vending can be risky (we had one this weekend that broke even after help was paid). Catering is getting more competitive. BUT, it can be done. We've done well for 6 years now. We have fed 7, yes 7, for a wealthy guys poker party (paid WELL) and we've done 1600. This business dies January - March. We make several times what you deem a huge help. Time, money, committment and a strong base of knowledge will pull you through. We started shoestring, and had an initial outlay of roughly $10k not counting a tow vehicle and we worked "under the radar".
Thanks, and I am used to having little or no income Jan-Mar, that is when I usually do my training / education, business plans etc.

With my current business would never have to come close to providing for my family with BBQ, but would be nice to have my eggs in more than one basket too.

My biggest income source is high school seniors, I have been photographing about 200-250 students a year, and the great thing is they all have graduation parties the following June. I would have a large group to market to for graduation parties.

I would prefer to do just the meat for now, and build on that later.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, watch out on vending. We recently did an event where the coordinator told us we would be nuts if we only prepared for 1,000 and would be sold out half way through so we did more. Ended up serving about 400.

That happened to everyone across the board. The roasted turkey leg folks had two huge igloo coolers full of cooked turkey legs leftover..

We just started but have been fairly busy catering/drop offs. That is more fun for me anyway, honestly.

Good luck!