Weekend chargrilled oysters

lowbass

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thanks to all of the advice I received from the brethren here, I was able to chargrill my own oysters.

I first went to my local fish monger to purchase some oysters. They had some nice large blue point oysters, but at $1.59 a piece I decided that for my first try I would go cheaper. So I ended up going to my local grocery where the oysters didn't cost as much.

I got a dozen oysters, some Romano, Parmesan cheese and garlic butter and an oyster knife. I looked at a few online videos of how to shuck oysters and chargrilling oysters. I also picked up a dozen U-15 shrimp and marinaded them in a jerk seasoning.

I must say that for my first time, they were pretty good. Not as good as what I had in New Orleans, but pretty good for Indiana. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• 20150801_170140.jpg
    20150801_170140.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 20150801_170325.jpg
    20150801_170325.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 20150801_170351.jpg
    20150801_170351.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 210
My daughter is addicted to these things. The restaurants that serve them in these parts, are charging $2.00 a piece.

Those look great. You can do the same recipe/technique with a variety of shellfish. We do clams and bay scallops (the little ones we snorkel for here on the gulf coast); for scallops we have some large shells we keep for this, just add 4-6 scallops to the big shell and do them just like you did.

That looks awesome! I'm a huge fan of oysters on the grill.

Never thought about Jerk shrimp before! Nice!

Thanks lowbass, now I have to find me some Apalachicola bay oysters.

Great looking grub for sure. Chargrilled oysters are my favorite thing to eat. There is nothing like them when fresh and done properly. Solid cook:thumb:

Looks good:cool:

However (and this might be a UK vs. US terminology thing) I thought char of chargrilled meant cooked on charcoal?

I learned to make them when I lived in New Orleans. Made some for my mother-in-law, she told me later at first she was just being polite because she hates oysters, but after eating one she could only think I didn't make enough! Lots of work but we'll worth it.

Not as good as what I had in New Orleans, but pretty good for Indiana.

They look great to me. However if you are looking for the "Drago Style" oyster, flood them with more of you braising liquor. I go pretty heavy on it myself. Look at the pic below, I fill the shell almost completely up. This will give you the Drago Style like you had in NO.

Last edited:
Back