MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
wildfire00
Found some matches.

Default deep fried turkey????

hello all, I was wanting to try my first deep fried turkey in the next couple of weeks. Can any of you help a guy out with some tips? I am pretty sure of what I am doing, but some added info will help anything with flavouring or whatever you got.

Thanks, wildfire.
wildfire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've only done this once or twice. The one we did that we liked the best had a bunch of fresh herbs rubbed under the skin. Frying it really sealed in all that flavor. I think we injected it with some herb butter as well.

BIGGEST TIP: Be careful. Deep fried turkey has increased the number of Darwin Awards greatly over the years. Make sure you don't have too much grease in the pot. Well before loading and heating, put the bird in, just cover with water then remove the bird. Note or mark the top of the water at THAT level and put only that amount of oil in. Spilling hot oil all over the propane flame is dangerous!

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

In addition to some flavorin's under the skin, injecting the bird is a nice addition. Butter+Beer+creativity is a good place to start. Cook it for around 3.5 minutes/pound. Oil temps need to be closely monitored after you drop the bird.

But for sure, safety is key. Pat the bird dry to an obsessive amount, and let it sit at room temperature for as long as (safely) possible. Wear good gloves and lower it very slowly into the oil.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

Simplest safety tip of all:

Extinguish the fire while you put in the bird and relight once it's in.

That way if there is an overflow, there isn't a resulting huge fire.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Inject it, there are some great injections available here in our local grocery stores you might be able to find one up there. If you can't buy one though garlic and butter are always winners.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Paulie
Knows what a fatty is.

The two tips already posted about determining the oil level and turning off the fire when putting the bird in are key.

I've done 5-6 deep fried turkeys with my brothers, and have always had great success. Don't get too big of a bird too; we stick to the 12-14lb range for our fryer.

Another thing we do is mix up some stuffing that would normally go in the turkey if roasting it; but add a couple eggs to the mix to hold it together, form in to balls and deep fry as well.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Be sure that the bird is 100% thawed, and dried as well as possible! Also, be careful not to buy too big of a bird. Make sure there is space enough in the pot to allow space between the outside of the bird, and the inside of pot. Otherwise you'll get a really impressive oil fountain! (don't ask me how I know)

And follow the other safety tips already given. I've only done it a couple of times because while it's fast, and if well done tastes amazing, cleanup is kind of a mess.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

As the others have said and you can't stress enough be careful. Make sure you have a good fire extinguisher on hand and ready to use. Once you have a fire, not a good time to be running around looking for one.

-Fill pot with water and lower frozen turkey in so you can mark proper level to fill with oil.

-Make sure turkey is completely thawed and dried, real important.

-Turning off the flame before lowering turkey in is a great tip.

-Lower it in slowly and wear good gloves if you have them.

-12-14 lb. turkey is best size for this.

-Make sure you haven't had to many adult beverages till after its done.

-Good luck!
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

I've been doing turkeys for about 20 years and never had a fire dept. fire that makes the news, a little over the edge but not the fire they show on tv, that's still no excuse for NOT being careful.

I use between a 10 and 12 lbs bird, thaw and inject with Cajun Injectors, anything they have is great but garlic butter is a hit always the I cover with Cajun shake and put in a small garbage bag (clean) and in the fridge they go, from 12 hours to a week. I may do 6 birds at a time.

Fire up the oil, bring up to 350 and slowly insert bird. I built a pully system like Alton Brown has, works slick and you may want to watch his show for cooking turkeys, it's great.

When the bird hit's the oil watch your temp, it will drop so add more heat right away, as the bird cooks you will continually lower your cooking fire but try to stay at 325-350. I go three minutes a pound + or -, kinda like Julia Child, I'm a what the hell kinda cook!

When you pull the bird out it's hot, just like broasted chicken so let it cool, 30 minutes is good but someone always has there hands on the skin before that. To finish I take three birds and place them in a large stainless steel pan and add a quart of chicken stock, cover and into the oven for 4 to 6 hours at 225. This cooks the meat right down to the bone and all those yum yums end up in the pan. Take the stock out of the pan and place in a skillet, bring to a boil, mix up your corn starch COLD water mix and start adding it to the broth. It makes some of the best gravy you may ever have.

This is what has worked for me for years, hope you give it a try and enjoy!

Mark
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012

Last edited by Rubmybutt; 06-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: More text needed
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

The only thing I'd like to add to what's already been said is use pure peanut oil. It's quite expensive but worth it.

Do not I repeat do not leave that fryer unattended at all Period.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
The only thing I'd like to add to what's already been said is use pure peanut oil. It's quite expensive but worth it.

Do not I repeat do not leave that fryer unattended at all Period.

The peanut oil can be filtered thru a coffee filter and reused as long as you keep it cool.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
PCFisher66
Knows what a fatty is.

I always like to brine mine, Alton Brown has some good basic brine recipes, I like to add Cherry Juicy Juice to my brine. Of course this adds a funky pink tint to the skin. If you put the turkey in the pot first then add water to cover it, thentake the bird out you will find the amount of oil to add in the pot. Ditto on making sure the bird is dry and lower slowly in the oil.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
BIGGEST TIP: Be careful. Deep fried turkey has increased the number of Darwin Awards greatly over the years. Make sure you don't have too much grease in the pot. Well before loading and heating, put the bird in, just cover with water then remove the bird. Note or mark the top of the water at THAT level and put only that amount of oil in. Spilling hot oil all over the propane flame is dangerous!
Good luck!
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Knife View Post
Wear good gloves and lower it very slowly into the oil.
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
Simplest safety tip of all:
Extinguish the fire while you put in the bird and relight once it's in.
That way if there is an overflow, there isn't a resulting huge fire.
I've never had a problem with starting a fire by lowering the bird in very slow and even backing it up if the oil starts to roll but this tip is brilliant, turn off the fire how simple is that, I'm gonna start doing that as well

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post
-Fill pot with water and lower frozen turkey in so you can mark proper level to fill with oil.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS DOESN"T ALWAYS WORK!!!!!!

the first fried turkey I made I did this water level trick. However, oil expands as it gets hot. So when doing this, note how close to the top of the pot the water line is when you have the turkey submerge. If its close to the top, then if you use that much oil, it will expand when heated and overflow. This is what happened to me. Small pot and large bird.

If you haven't gotten a fryer already, consider the Big Easy oil-less fryier. I have one and it works great. The unit costs more than a basic fryer, but you save a good bit on not needing to buy the oil.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

Peanut oil is a must, all I've ever used also when I get the bird in the oil I cover the pot with a grease catcher. That round stainless steel mesh thingamabob that you use on the stove to keep splater down. A must!
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote