THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Recently I built a UDS for my daughter, I used ½ in nipples for the air intake instead of the 1 inch I have used in the past. I used 4 in hers and I use three in the others. I never open all three of the 1 inch nipples during a cook. Hers seems to hold the 225-250 range much easier than mine does.

Today I set the extension on hers to burn it out. I used a chimney of lump and the rest is some hickory that I wanted to use up. I cant get the temps above 210 unless I open/crack the door in the extension I built. The extension is roughly 2/3 of the top of a barrel with a door cut into it.

Do you think my nipples are just too small to get a good hot fire in her barrel with the extension? Do you think the UDS with the bigger intake will be ok? Hmm, maybe the exhaust is not big enough?

Smoookin, you are right. I tried to build my first one with 1/2" nipples and there was not enough air flow to get the UDS up to temp. I am going to use 1" nipples on the next one. I think Norco used 3/4" and it worked alright.

the one in my avatar has 1 inch nipples. I usually just use the ball valve and rarely open one other intake. I had the 1/2 inchers laying around so I thought I would try them.

Smookin, mine is built w/ 1/2 inch nipple, well one is 3/4 in, because I filed the hole too big!:eek:, but its more than sufficent...
What you said about the exhaust is right on, I believe...need more holes to let air out... I had the opposite problem before, tin foil mod too care of that!:p

How many holes are we talking about? I read that people were using 4 - 1/2" ball valves. I ran the calcs and determined that 1 - 1" ball valve would handle the same amount of volume. Would that work just having a single 1" ball valve?

I am planning to mount a rotisserie and or a rod across the top to be able to hang goodies. here is a quick pic, I havent painted or really even figured out a good latch yet.

of course the fact that it is 37 degrees isnt helping either..

Attachments

• extension.jpg
    extension.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 149
I guess that the number of nipples you have around your UDS would also make a difference. I only had 3 evenly spaced around the barrel. I did that because all the other UDS's that I had seen had 3 intakes. I did not try to add any holes to the top of mine I was just using the 2 holes that were already in the top. I may have to try this again. I do have a Weber kettle lid I can use now and that may make a difference.

How many holes are we talking about? I read that people were using 4 - 1/2" ball valves. I ran the calcs and determined that 1 - 1" ball valve would handle the same amount of volume. Would that work just having a single 1" ball valve?

I have our half inch nipples in my daughters barrel and 3 inch nipples in <<<that one.

I have used mine for a grill with all of the caps off, just be sure you keep the lid on.

If ya wanna really cover all options, install one each of 1/2", 3/4", and 1".
Gives you very precise control.

First UDS I built I used 3/4" NPT X 1/2"NPT bushings and 1 3/4" nipple. I now use 3ea 3/4" pipe nipples. I noticed the 1/2"did not seem quite enough. Plus over time the gunk is only going to build up between cleanings.

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

I have spent the las half hour outside trying to figure this sucker out. I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the exhaust. I went as far as to add a 5th intake, still no luck. :(
Finally I stuck a 1/4 inch bolt between the lid and the lip and now she is running steady at 240 (for now).

I noticed the only way I could keep the temps up was to open the door, I couldnt get enough control that way so I proped the lid just a little.

After gettin her burn out I ran two rods across the top and now have four yardbirds hanging out in the UDS.

Smooookin, had the same problem with one of my UDS builds. Used a weber kettle lide (actually Penny's version), used four 1/2" intakes...drilled two more holes in the lid and, wallah, works just fine now. For some reason, it just needed more exhaust flow. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

i.ve got (4) 1/2 inch air intakes and (8) 1/2 inch exxhaust holes in lid, works like a charm. run with 1/2 ball valve and maybe one other hole open. use the ball valve for fine tuneing. have grilled steaks and chicken by opening up (3) holes and taking the lid off. As you all know this really causes a real good fire. good luck with your UDS and hang in there until you've gotten the bugs out.:-D:cool:

I do not use a UDS.
But, I just gotta ask! :oops:

Has anyone used a ball or gate valve at the top an/or bottom?
Maybe 1.5 inch or so.

Seems it would give you "infinite" control over intake and exhaust air.
Lots simpler than guessing diameters.

Just curious.

TIM

Kapn, have thought about that. I think it would definately have some possiblilities especially when you are trying to get temps higher. Mine just like to run at 225-240 on their own. More exhaust might make mine more versatile. Good thought.

I concur with the exhast theory. I only have 3 half inch nips for intake and have little problems. I do add more lit briquettes to start depending on the temp I'm looking for.

I was using the 2in plug and the 1in plug for exhaust, I think I will install a 4in in the extension. I like not drilling all of the holes, that way I can seal it up and dont have to worry about rain/snow and getting water in the barrel.

It was a fight but it turned out to be worth the effort.

Back