Charcoal score!

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I read a while back (either here or at WKC or TVWBB) that Lowes had Coshell charcoal clearanced. The stuff gets good reviews and I have been dieing to try it. One small problem though. Nearest Lowes is 90 miles away.

So I happen to be at a sales call in Wausau today and drove past said closest Lowes on the way up. I decided to stop on the way back, and I did.

Walked over the the charcoal aisle and saw Frontier lump, Cowboy lump, Stubbs briqs, and the ubiquitous K. No Coshell.

There's a Lowes guy in the aisle and asks if I was finding everything. I told him I had hoped they had Coshell like the Lowes further South have.

"The coconut stuff? It's over here on clearance. We don't sell a lot of it. $3.20 a bag."

I give the guy a smile and start to walk away. I look over my shoulder and say "I'm gonna need a cart."

I should have bought it all but only had my Corolla so I went with 12 bags. 216lbs for about $40.00. A pretty good deal I'd say. Can't wait to give it a try.

Nice!

We scored something similar with Royal Oak briquettes, at $4.54 a bag:D

Happy Q'en

Phillip

Wow. I'm heading to lowes tomorrow. Never used it but I'll give it a shot for that price.

Hmmm... I'll have to check the Lowes around here.

Has anyone used it?
I know I read somewhere that it burns hot and clean, not a lot of 'smokieness'.

At that price, I'm not too concerned. If it's as good as RO briqs, I'm good.

Has anyone used it?

I've used it and liked it at first nice and hot burning and almost no smoke when you fire it up. So I stocked up and cooking on it more I started to dislike it due to it taking forever to start and creating a mess of ash, I mean the most ash I've seen from ANY charcoal brand. Once you shut down after cooking on it and it gets cool, the next day you can see some of the briquettes retaining they're shape but once you move your charcoal basket or touch them they turn into sand instantly. There have been times where I have re-used Stubbs or added some more on top but not the case with this.

I returned the rest of the bags and got my money back. I wouldn't even buy them at $3 a bag. I'm thinking that's why they're on clearance. They went from 9.99 to 8.99 to 7.99 etc.

I know I read somewhere that it burns hot and clean, not a lot of 'smokieness'.

At that price, I'm not too concerned. If it's as good as RO briqs, I'm good.

I'm curious on how you'd like them HB. Keep us posted. I stated my reasons of disliking it above. I can tell you that it burns hot and minimal smoke upon lighting it.

I enjoy the charcoal and I would use it anytime for that price including competitions. I'm pretty sure you will like it. The charcoal seems to hold a more steady temperature on a long cook IMO. Not much white smoke either which is a plus.

I read a while back (either here or at WKC or TVWBB) that Lowes had Coshell charcoal clearanced. The stuff gets good reviews and I have been dieing to try it. One small problem though. Nearest Lowes is 90 miles away.

So I happen to be at a sales call in Wausau today and drove past said closest Lowes on the way up. I decided to stop on the way back, and I did.

Walked over the the charcoal aisle and saw Frontier lump, Cowboy lump, Stubbs briqs, and the ubiquitous K. No Coshell.

There's a Lowes guy in the aisle and asks if I was finding everything. I told him I had hoped they had Coshell like the Lowes further South have.

"The coconut stuff? It's over here on clearance. We don't sell a lot of it. $3.20 a bag."

I give the guy a smile and start to walk away. I look over my shoulder and say "I'm gonna need a cart."

I should have bought it all but only had my Corolla so I went with 12 bags. 216lbs for about $40.00. A pretty good deal I'd say. Can't wait to give it a try.
nice score Clark!

Has anyone used it?
I just used some in my WGA the other day to do some lamb shanks I threw into a stew. worked well for that...I know that's what Phu uses for his WGA wizardry (coconut shell briqs, but different brand)

Opened the first bag of Coshell tonight. Did a pork loin roast indirect on one of the Rat-Rod Webers.

First, love the shape of the briqs.
Second, they did not take as long to light as I had expected.
Third, the smoke scent reminded me of my childhood and long weekends spent at Governor Dodge State Park.
Fourth, the briqs seem to burn for a long time. Hopefully I can try in a WSM soon.
Fifth, I won't be able to give a final verdict until I go to reuse the briqs. I need to see how well they hold together.

I can say the pork roast rocked!

I tried a bag of it in my wsm a couple months ago, I thought it was pretty good. Gonna have to go to my Lowes and see if I can get some for that price, nice score!

Just opened my last bag of charcoal, so very pleased to see this thread this morning, thanks for posting! Off to Lowes at lunch I go.... :-D Can't believe I've used 160 lbs since September....

My experience with Coshell echos a couple earlier postings:

1. I believe it burns hotter than what I usually use (Royal Oak lump, or Royal Oak Chef's Select).
2. It's not *difficult* to light, but it does take 5-10 more minutes in the chimney before I get the full bore jet-engine effect.
3. Burns very clean, not much white smoke at all. Ergo, Very VERY low smoke flavor.
4. Burns longer. Maybe one third longer than the aforementioned Royal Oak.
5. Leaves a LOT of ash. That never bothered me however, I just empty the ash bucket more often, big deal.

I like Coshell, a lot. Thanks for the heads-up on the clearance price, I just ordered three 6-packs of the stuff.

You guys have got it good. We only get charcoal for a few months starting from Easter. It's usuallu rubbish big store own branded stuff. Just don't get the variety here. With all the pit makers, plenty of rubs n seasonings,mega cheap meat and variety of woods and charcoal and my love of fire n smoke cooked food looking like I m gonna have to move over, now where's the best place to live. A place in th country but nothing too far from civilisation would be ideal

One Walmart had it one did not. Would not price match as price "varies by store". Got 4 bags RO @7$ Lump 5 bags smoking chunks @4.50. And a very happy bride hitting two WalMart on a Saturday.

Last edited:
Back