MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #31
Jetpilot
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post
Kevin White does their Shipping. You can send him a text at 850-240-2695 for a quote.
I’ll second Kevin White! Great communication and reasonably priced.
Jetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #32
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

It was a ten year journey, but I finally got my smoker!! It was a stressful process trying to find the best bang for my buck while at the same time meeting my needs. I physically looked at the Jambo Backyard, the Bison Backyard, Big Phil's Backyard, an LSG 20"x42" and a Shirley Fabrication 24"x36". All of them were beast and I would have loved each one of them. In the end mobility and longevity was the most important to me. Because of that I narrowed down my choice to the Shirley and LSG.

Two weeks ago I pulled the trigger on the LSG. It was cheapest smoker I had looked at, made of 3/16 and had a caster upgrade so it should move good to solve my mobility issue. Other awesome features included a firebox grill and griddle plate. I was pretty darn happy and kept thinking I can't wait until November to cook on this thing.

My mind kept drifting and I kept asking myself if I should have gone with the Shirley. I was literally doubting my decision a day after placing my order. I get a call 5 days after placing my LSG order stating there was an extra Shirley heading to Texas and it was mine if I wanted it. I jumped on it. Even though I was less than one week into a 16 week waiting period LSG charged me a 10% cancellation fee. It's clearly stated on their website, so my fault and lesson learned. Even paying that fee I was 100% confident in my decision this time around so the peace of mind was worth the fee. The fee was also cheaper than depreciation if I decided to sell it.

Last night my Shirley was delivered and this thing is a freaking tank. So far I'm VERY happy and can't wait to cook on it. Work is crazy right now (blessed) so that may not happen until this Sunday. I'm still in shock I got a brand new Shirley in 11 days. Unheard of!

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by Raider18; 08-10-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #33
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Congrats...Shirley makes some amazing pits and they are absolutely some stand up people. I'm sure you'll be happy with that pit for a long time.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #34
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on the Shirley purchase! It sounds like all the stars aligned with that extra Shirley coming to Texas.

I also had a similar situation here in Minnesota. I more or less accidentally ran into my Shirley on Craigslist. I always wanted an offset smoker but I never dreamed of it being a Shirley smoker. I had to jump on the opportunity when it presented itself. I knew the chance of finding another used Shirley smoker up in Minnesota was slim to none.

I've never regretted the decision. The smoker and quality is top notch. I'm sure the LSG is also a very nice smoker. Even with me purchasing my Shirley second hand, Paul Shirley has been top notch with helping with any questions I've had here on the forum about the smoker. The company itself can't be beat. There is a reason why they have a wait for their smokers. Congrats and I'm looking forward to any pictures you post on the smoker. Enjoy the new toy!
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #35
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Congrats on the Shirley! Did you end up going with the 24x36 patio? I cant wait to put an order in for one too. They sure are beautiful cookers. Please post your first cook with it, I’m sure we all would love to see your cooker in action!

Old 08-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #36
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Awesome ending to a great story! Now start cooking and showing that thing off!
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #37
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Congrats! They make a great smoker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #38
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Congrats on a great cooker!
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #39
DBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Congrats Raider, I got my patio model a month or so ago and love it. It is my second one and I was easily able to get this to my back patio bbq area.
DBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2020, 12:24 AM   #40
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome!

Old 08-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #41
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Whoo hoo! I have a PK too and will at some point invest in a stick burner. That would be probably my first choice right now.

Enjoy!

Old 08-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #42
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

congrats, you won't regret the cancellation fee to get what you want

or consider it a rush fee to get your smoker sooner :)

Old 08-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #43
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Congrats man! The big difference in my mind between the two is the option to cook on the firebox. With all of the grills you have this isn't a big plus for you. You're going to have a blast with the new Shirley!

Now all you need is the following:
Wood
Rack to store the wood
kindling splitter
4lb hammer
chainsaw
high temp gloves
fire poker

Get to smoking!

Old 08-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #44
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

Shirleys come with a Fire Poker......but he'll certainly find something else to spend those $$$ on in setting up the cooker......I know I did.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #45
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Congrats man! The big difference in my mind between the two is the option to cook on the firebox. With all of the grills you have this isn't a big plus for you. You're going to have a blast with the new Shirley!

Now all you need is the following:
Wood
Rack to store the wood
kindling splitter
4lb hammer
chainsaw
high temp gloves
fire poker

Get to smoking!
I actually bought all that other stuff (minus poker) based on your LSG thread!
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote