• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pork cheek *fail*

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
photo (29).JPG

didn't cook em long enough. :doh:

looks real purdy though. they smoked @ 275* for an hour dusted with oakridge secret weapon. then braised in stout, cherry preserve, apple juice, with minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper, for another hour. they probed tender, but alas, needed another good hour.

thanks biggles. i just remembered, to make it all the more unfortunate, they were also berkshire heritage pork. my butcher cut them right out of the head for me on the spot.

well, got two more to play with.

Did the butcher get the glands out?
My butcher didn't, lucky I found them before I used them.
I agree, sure was purdy!

Sorry the didn't turn out how you wanted. Went out to dinner at some fancy place last night and had apple cider braised pork cheeks . They were awesome, immediately thought, where can I get these and how can I smoke 'em.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Its not a loss!!!! ............. its guanciale,(kinda sorta :wacko: ) just smoked, not cured.. close enuf...

dice it up, throw it in a pan to crispy it up, then add it to fresh tomato sauce with some red pepper flakes(or i dice a red cherry pepper)and simmer it for a few minutes.. serve it over bucatini...

Bucatini all’Amatriciana...its one of my favorite comfort foods.. google it.. loads of recipes. :cool:

heres marios.. http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes_bucatini.cfm

Sorry it didn't turn out well, but looks like you got a good recipe out of the deal.:thumb:

Would've never thought of pork cheek. I've had halibut cheeks before, absolutely love those. Sounds like something new to try.

kc

Pork cheeks when cured is Guanciale(pronounced guan-chal-lay).. or Roman Bacon. i use it in lots Italian peasant recipes. Pretty much central to anything italian that calls for bacon.. its probably saltier and firmer than what you made, but we gotta find a use for yours. :) Smoke is just another form of curing.... isnt it. :wink:

it makes a killer brown gravy with wine and mushrooom over chicken also.. it can be used in interchangeably with pancetta.. good in carbonara too.

Hmmm, all the guanciale I have had was made from jowls, not cheeks. The pork cheeks I have had were leaner than guanciale.

Back