how long to rest the big meats before turn ins

early mornin' smokin'

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Debating a change up of our normal procedure, and getting the larger meats off the cookers around 7-8am to free up cooker space. They'll be wrapped and cambro'd up until right before turn in. I feel the long rest can't be detrimental to the cook. Just want some input. This is our first year cooking on all BGE's and looking to keep it that way, bringing a weber kettle in case we need the extra space. figured as long as 1 of the big meats were done by 7 we can get our ribs in and rocking than if all goes as planned the chicken would go in the egg around 10. Decisions decisions, just doing my normal pre-contest freak out. Can't wait to see everyone at williepallooza!

I generally like to rest at the 9 am mark as mentioned. However, my butts finished 6:30 am at my last comp and walked 2nd:razz: edit meant 6:30a

Last edited:
My big cuts usually come off between 8 and 9-ish. Lately it's been closer to the 8AM mark. I've walked in both brisket and pork with this schedule.

Do a couple of practice runs with the extended rest time and see what, if any, impact it has to the final product. I'd assume it certainly wouldn't be detrimental but there's only one way to find out for sure...

Cooking on 1 BWS Fatboy, I can understand why.

Chris, I got a competitor last year, and I just treat it like a large fatboy. I got a competitor because I flat out wore out my fatboy, and there's been more than one contest I had to pull a brisket early because it wasn't dead yet, and needed to make room for ribs. At least this way, I got an extra rack or two incase that happens again.. I've gotten into the groove of trying to just cook two meats at a time, it works for me and like to keep it that way!.. I hope to run into you this year !

Back