Interesting article on competition que...

Amen. I think that I should start pursuing the "Green Ribbon"!!!

Good find, thanks for sharing.

Good read, but I would have to disagree. Barbecue by my definition is unique to the individual. There is no "right" or "wrong" no "this way" or "that way". If you like it do it, if you don't, don't. It is common knowledge that competition bbq is a totally different beast than your backyard stuff. That said, most go into it with that mindset and I know of several whose "backyard" bbq with friends is nothing like that same person's "competition" bbq. Some people just enjoy the thrill of the competition and the fellowship. So for these guys to say that competition is ruining "real bbq", whether or not they mean to, they are the ones that are really hurting it. BBQ is good food, good friends, and good times. If all of those are there, then who cares how it happens.

Ok, done with my vent now. Hope everyone has a great day.

Good read, but I would have to disagree. Barbecue by my definition is unique to the individual. There is no "right" or "wrong" no "this way" or "that way". If you like it do it, if you don't, don't. It is common knowledge that competition bbq is a totally different beast than your backyard stuff. That said, most go into it with that mindset and I know of several whose "backyard" bbq with friends is nothing like that same person's "competition" bbq. Some people just enjoy the thrill of the competition and the fellowship. So for these guys to say that competition is ruining "real bbq", whether or not they mean to, they are the ones that are really hurting it. BBQ is good food, good friends, and good times. If all of those are there, then who cares how it happens.

I agree with what you are saying about it being up to the individual. However, I also agree with the article a bit regarding how competition que is shaping the perception of people regarding the complicated processes and technique's that go into it. People watch a tv show or visit a comp and think that is what it means to cook "good" que and have a bad experience trying to duplicate the process at home in the back yard.

I also agree with the articles opinion on KCBS to a large degree. With that said though, they've created a major marketing machine that is getting them a lot of attention, and by default, steer's people's perception of what makes "good" que.

Does Alexa know that?:shock:
All I know is that I'm at the hotel.
shiner.gif

Clearly Martin is judge #6 - he needs a refresher in "Judge as presented" or he needs to stop judging.

And, let's see, in that article three of the four panelists haven't competed, and the fourth flat declares that KCBS has ruined BBQ. Further, if you think that every brisket entry presented to you at the Jack is "$#!+", then maybe you should politely decline to judge next year.

And, let's see, in that article three of the four panelists haven't competed, and the fourth flat declares that KCBS has ruined BBQ. Further, if you think that every brisket entry presented to you at the Jack is "$#!+", then maybe you should politely decline to judge next year.

This is probably why you shouldn't order the brisket at a Southern BBQ joint...

This was an interesting article. I will have to add, that us competitors are not bastardizing BBQ. We do what it takes to win within the rules. If the judges like bastardized bbq samples, then it is them who is the cause of what we do. Take this article for instance, if that guy didn't have any success in injecting his brisket with god-knows-what, he wouldn't do it anymore. If he always had the same success with just getting a brisket and putting salt and pepper on it, he'd still turn that in.

I guess i'm trying to say, most all of us cook for the judges, and most of us would rather cook with a different flavor profile, etc. for our own tastes, which would surprisingly probably be more suited to the people who at first criticize us for Bastardizing. So, who is really ruining BBQ?

I say no one. We either cook a product we like, or we cook a product that wins, because the judges like and expect something specific.

I don't think there's anything in that article that folks haven't been saying around here for years, but in a less judgmental way. I've seen it said time and again that comp q has nothing to do with backyard q because in most cases it's created for a perceived judges palate. Hell, even when you watch the tv comps you'll hear people talking about modding their recipes to cater to the locals' taste.

The pioneering modern photographer Alfred Stieglitz envied the amateur artist because he could pursue his vision without concern for the critics. A great jazz trumpeter I know said once that some of the finest musicians he knew were doctors. So it is in q I guess.

Well said sir...

Because teams cook in a wider area than just their backyard, and because judges travel beyond their backyard to judge, the "flavor profile" of competition barbecue meats has leaned toward the middle without anything specific "standing out". That gives the team a better shot at pleasing a larger percentage of judges.

Q-joint cooks are cooking for their specific locale and wouldn't last very long cooking their specific flavors in other parts of the land.

I.E., comparing restaurant barbecue to competition barbecue is just rediculous!

Back