Picture of 9th place pork

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Let me know what you think. Any suggestions on changes?
After looking at it, I think I could have done with less garnish and more meat.
P2020099.jpg

I don't think garnish is a problem at all. Slices look GREAT. Maybe more bark in your pulled. Go with more bite sized pieces in the pulled instead of the stringy pieces.

I am no expert (heading to my first KCBS contest this weekend in Lake Placid) however I would actually think you need more garnish around the edges. Fill in some of the white spaces. Perhaps a little more bark mixed in with the pulled portions, and a little more moisture on the chunked portion. Perhaps a quick spritz with some apple juice, so it matches the glisten on the pulled.

I would still love to sample it looking just as it is. :p

--Larry

I would give it a seven in presentation, all it needs is a little more bark sprinkled into it and on top, the slices if moist and tasty are nice alternative, don't see much of it turned in up here

AS a CBJ, I do not care about the garnish. I am alson not checkign to see if the garnish is covering the box. I do look at the meat and only the meat! The problem is I can not see the slices, but the pull look good. I would have tried to show off the slices more because you can see the smoke ring, the bark and the grain of the meat. I would give it a 7. It does not make me want to reach out and grab some.

As a CBJ I now try and say is there anything that could be done to make the box better. I agree it is a meat contest, but as one of the moderaters of this forum has posted, if you are gonna garnish, do it balls out! I think you had the perfect amount of meat, I would have put a double row of lettuce and would have put the parsley all the way around too! Having said that, an 8!

I would give it an 8, good lookin' meat! - I agree with some other posts... Show off those slices! Rather than try to explain it, I'll post my pork entry as soon as I get it off the camera, just to show you another alternative to showcase the slices. If they are hidden like that, it makes me wonder why they are buried under pulled pork...

Ray, I agree with most of the other comments... more meat, don't hide the slices and more bark in the pulled. You also might consider chopping instead of pulling. When we switched to chopping with the medallions, we started scoring higher. I think too many people pull the pork and chopped is a bit different. I pull off chunks of exactly the meat I want: all pink or bark. No gray or "white" meat. Then I chop that and pour some of the juices from the foil over it and "toss".

I would give it an 8, good lookin' meat! - I agree with some other posts... Show off those slices! Rather than try to explain it, I'll post my pork entry as soon as I get it off the camera, just to show you another alternative to showcase the slices. If they are hidden like that, it makes me wonder why they are buried under pulled pork...

I guess thats what I mean about too much garnish. It looks like those slices are sunk down too much. Maybe of small bed of pulled then put the slices down would have help. This was really my first pork entry with slices so I'm still learning.
Thanks for all the great coments.

I would build up my slices to show them off, they look good. I do agree with some of the other posts. Listen to Andy he is a very good coach.

Nice pork, I like more bark maybe in the corner.

Good luck Scotty D

I like it. Looks good to me. I have turned in slices and turned in pulled but never both together.

Back