Got Wood???

clemsonking

Found some matches.
The discussion came up last night with the guys on the cook team about wood chips/chunks and whether we should soak them or not. From what ive read on the internet green wood produces a “bad smoak” as compared to “seasoned” dry wood. If we soaked the wood chips/chunks overnite wouldnt that be the same as green wood or would it not matter since the water is just to slow the burning and isnt the sap and moisture in the green wood??​

I'm sure others will chime in, but here is my 2 cents:

Chips: I soak chips, not to improve the smoke, but to keep the chips from bursting into flames and burning out too fast. I only use chips on my gasser.

Chunks: I don't soak chunks. Tests have shown that even with long soaks, the water only penetrates a very small area of the chunk, so it really doesn't do anything. I use chunks for the grill and smoker.

I'm sure others will chime in, but here is my 2 cents:

Chips: I soak chips, not to improve the smoke, but to keep the chips from bursting into flames and burning out too fast. I only use chips on my gasser.

Chunks: I don't soak chunks. Tests have shown that even with long soaks, the water only penetrates a very small area of the chunk, so it really doesn't do anything. I use chunks for the grill and smoker.

I agree with Saiko - I have tried using soaking chunks and it hasn't really helped. Chips will burn out very quickly if not soaked - way too quickly, IMO.

I don't like to add a vapor or steam when I cook, so I don't use chips or wet chunks anymore. I will use good chunks (Dry) and add as needed, never really needed anything more. Green wood will not give the complete combustion you need to cook, or better yet smolder in some cases. Gives off a really bad flavor component, IMHO.

Chips are okay. They burn pretty fast either way for me.

These days I mainly use soaked chips to knock down the temps on the egg when it spikes up.

I never soak (chips or chunks) as I think it adds steam and maybe changes the smoke flavor of the wood you are using - used to soak and there is a difference IMHO

I have both soaked chips and used dry chips. Soaked chips burn slower and generate a great smoke. The dry chips burn quick and allow for a little flavor on the outside.

I tried Pellets once and thought it sucked :eek:

I have not noticed a problem mixing dry chips in amongst the lump in my cooker. I think because it's a lower heat, they don't generally burst into flame. If I were grilling high heat, I'd soak them.

As to green wood, I think I saw Mike Mills say that's all he uses is "green" (fresh cut) apple wood. Not 100% sure it was Mills though

ok this has answered part of my questions but now for another in reference to the "green" apple wood...would it be bad to use "green" pecan if it was cut now and wasnt burnt til sept?

I don't use chips and I don't soak chunks.

What he said... I have enough local sources of apple, cherry, oak, and maple that I don't have to worry about seasoning, and I buy mesquite chunks and/or lump that is already dry by nature. When I get chances to score other wood, again, no issues waiting for it to season...

Back