MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default clear smoke?

I have read a few posts about smoke and wood chunks and all sorts of info. My question is this. is it possible with charcoal and a wood chunk to get almost invisible smoke? im talkin even clearer than tbs?

if so, how is it done? im just curious is all. Should i burn it in teh chimney till embers? will that still give great flavor?

thanks

Old 11-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, I often get a smoke so light that I can barely see it, if there is a wind, I don't know that there is smoke until I taste the food. It comes down to a clean fire and well seasoned wood. It just seems to burn cleaner.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Patrice
On the road to being a farker

Usually, I get invisible smoke with lump and a chunk of cherry without much work, I light the charcoal in a chimney dump it in, let the smoke settle to thin blue and put the meat on. Before long, it goes invisible and yes, it gives great flavor.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Yes... that is the sign of an efficiently heated and fast burning fire... absence of a visible smoke.
Charcoal will produce it even once fully lit in a fully consumed fire.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
LT72884
Babbling Farker

lets discuss clean fire. to me, this is how i achieve that: i place a full chimney of unlit either in the charcoal basket of my uds or to one side of the weber otg. i then light about 20 or so coals. roughly 15% ratio of lit to unlit. once they are nice and white. i pour them over the unlit in a single pile, sometimes i do spread them over the entire pile. i let pre heat for 45 minutes or so, even if i am dialed in to my temps early. i still like to wait a few minutes.

Is that a good fire?

thanks.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Boshizzle

To me, clear smoke is the way to go. When using charcoal, what I do is bring my smoker up above the cooking temp and then crank down the air inlets until it settles at the cooking temp and the smoke becomes a clear vapor.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
To me, clear smoke is the way to go. When using charcoal, what I do is bring my smoker up above the cooking temp and then crank down the air inlets until it settles at the cooking temp and the smoke becomes a clear vapor.
that way all the unlit charcoal has a good pre heat i assume?

Can you have clear smoke with high temps such as 375? should the wood actually be on fire? haha

Old 11-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

While this isn't clear, this photo is a great illustration of the thin blue smoke of a clean burning fire.

[IMG][/IMG]
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Can any of you UDS experts on here help me out on this same subject? My UDS, about 2.5-3 hours into my cook yesterday started throwing out a white smoke. I didn't change anything, but the thin blue went away. Only thing I could think of is that the juices from the brisket dripping onto the coals caused this. It wasn't a putrid smell to the smoke and the brisket tasted fine.

that was only my second UDS cook and my first brisket.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Can any of you UDS experts on here help me out on this same subject? My UDS, about 2.5-3 hours into my cook yesterday started throwing out a white smoke. I didn't change anything, but the thin blue went away. Only thing I could think of is that the juices from the brisket dripping onto the coals caused this. It wasn't a putrid smell to the smoke and the brisket tasted fine.

Yes, it was most likely the juices hitting the hot coals. If you don't have a diffuser then this will happen. That is one of the things that people like about a UDS is the "campfire effect" of the juices burning and adding flavor back into the meat. One way I can tell the difference between "bad" smoke and steam/juice fumes is the bad smoke will burn your eyes where the steam does not.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post

In an oil fire, white smoke means too much fuel not enough air and a super hot combustible mix. (Much more dangerous than black smoke) Black smoke is too much fuel and too much air, raw fuel can be left on deck and blow up but the white smoke is vaporized fuel where as black smoke is liquid fuel.

In a wood fire I am not too sure if it equates the same but it seems like you may have had a huge spike in air and the amount of heat being produced.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
captndan

It's a clean fire thing. Just like making lump charcoal The white or grey smoke is from burning off the trapped gases and other junk in the wood or charcoal. Bargain brand charcoal and improperly seasoned wood makes this process longer. The Ancients knew about this 'cleanliness is next to wealthiness'.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I know this sounds silly but: Any time you think you aren't getting smoke flavor because you don't see any smoke, hold your hand over the exaust vent for a few seconds and then smell your hand.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Midnight Smoke

On the BGE I cannot see the smoke. If cooking at night you can hold a Flashlight with the beam pointed over the Exhaust and you will see glimpses of smoke.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
LT72884
Babbling Farker

thanks guys. i was just curious because i want to get as close as i can to clear smoke. it was interesting, i had about 20 lit coals on the cement the other day in a nice hot pile, i threw on a wood chunk and it smoked up a storm. thats what made me think of this question. even with a very hot pile of coals in the open, the wood chunk still smoldered and smoked a bunch. lol. thanks