• Appleton Glazed Salmon *pr0n heavy*

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys! I got a nice side of Atlantic salmon for a job last week and it was cancelled so I've had this thing in my freezer. Was gonna keep it to offer someone else but I couldn't resist just doing the thing up for myself with all the nice salmon threads floating around the site lately! :thumb: I guess I'm having salmon for lunch for the next couple days... :becky: ...No problem here!

I've been meaning to try out a nice rum glaze on salmon for a while so I jumped on it... Here's how it went:

Wash and dried the fillet & trimmed it down nicely:
16ebae15.jpg

8d7d1943.jpg

Did up a rub/cure for it with salt, b sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, old bay, red pepper flakes & a touch of pink salt. I didn't use it all btw.
7d7593a4.jpg

f0c5895d.jpg

Rubbed, vacced & fridged it for a couple hours:
14af7aa8.jpg

Then I made the Appleton glaze with approximately:
1/2 cup good rum (Appleton)
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
2-3 TB honey
1/2 a lemon (juice)
1 TB wet sugar
1 tsp Pepper flakes

78d094cb.jpg

Took the salmon out the vac bag, washed it and patted it dry:
4518be82.jpg

Gave it a coat of glaze and it went back in the fridge to dry:
f204662d.jpg

I glazed it a couple more times as it dried and sprinkled some black sesame seeds on the last glazing:
9ea18a74.jpg

Then on to the smoker at 200˚ with lychee for smoke:
4e08c70d.jpg

About 2.5 hours in:
0e8663b8.jpg

I reduced the Rum glaze :becky::
3bb43216.jpg

...and started glazing for the last hour:
7ea49959.jpg

***notice the "trimmings have vanished by this point... :shocked::twisted::heh:

And here we are off the smoker @ 135 and resting to go in the fridge for slicing tomorrow! :doh:
a295c5dd.jpg

The samples I aahm... "tested" were to die for! Tomorrow can't come soon enuf! I'll post a couple pics when I've cut em up! :becky:

Thanks for looking guys!
Cheers!

Right! I am on my way brother, hey Phu what time is your flight?

Phrasty, fantasmic brother!
I showed TFO and she nudged me and said "Next holiday, Jamaica Mon!":laugh:

That looks absolutely awesome
can I have some please

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Cool I'm packed and waiting in the pub. :-D

Looks great! Love the recipe. Appletons has such a good flavor. But...what the fark is wet sugar?

Cool I'm packed and waiting in the pub. :-D

Why does this not surprise me?? :heh:

Looks great! Love the recipe. Appletons has such a good flavor. But...what the fark is wet sugar?

Thanks Guerry! Wet sugar is an old Jamaican thing and its awesome! Just imagine half & half brown sugar and molasses! It's very sweet with that rich molasses kick. Looks like this:
6793ff54.jpg

Looks mighty tasty, Phrasty!

Thanks Brother!

Nice!

Is it tomorrow yet? :becky:

Nah... was running late for work. Gonna deal with it tonight. :thumb:

Cheers

Half n half? Thanks! I can make some then. Regular or blackstrap?

Dang...that looks excellent Phrasty!! Thanks for the post. :thumb:

Half n half? Thanks! I can make some then. Regular or blackstrap?

well it's actually not made by mixing the two... is a raw stage of the sugar making process... It's before the sugar and molasses are separated. BUT yes I think the best way to get something close is 1/2 & 1/2. Use regular molasses. Never actually made it myself though. I buy it packaged. Its the "Duckenfield" container. :thumb:

Cheers

That's some good looking salmon and I hate salmon. :shocked: But I love me some Appleton Rum. :-D I brought some home last time I was in Jamaica. Good stuff. I imagine I can get it in the states now though. Thanks for the showing us how it's done!

Back