MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #46
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I searched a little today. Not a single credible review or comment from real backer. So far they've produced a several million dollar app
You are correct as it looks like this first shipment was ~100-200 MEATERS. A few people in the comments sections on the indiegogo page say they received theirs, but I haven't seen a review yet. That being said if it were a total piece of **** and didn't work the internet would likely be plastered with 1 start horrible reviews.

We'll see what happens here in the next few months. I understand people are frustrated by the time it has taken to get this product to it's first production stage, but were this an easy item to engineer / produce somebody else would have already done it. I have no issues with waiting and as I have said before, I would rather wait and have them get it right the first time than get shipped a POS and deal with recalls / send backs, or just not even bother.

I'm optimistic because I have a vague understanding of the engineering complications of this product and if it works as they say it does, then this is really an engineering marvel. Again, I'm in for $60 so I'm not going to spit venom for such a small quantity of cash... just spent $5700 on a new smoker. haha
SmoothBoarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #47
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

∆∆∆

I'm in for the block and it flops oh well. We've all wasted more than $160 or whatever dollars at one point or another. Like brother BigSwole says "It's only money"

They're trying and if it doesn't work, oh well!
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #48
smokin'hoogie
Full Fledged Farker

smooth and ssv,

For any type of investment one cannot take the attitude that "oh well, it's not that much money". Cummulatively, it's a HUGE sum of money and if a product or service ends up being fraudulent, investors/consumers should not write it off so easily even if the cost is low. This is what a scammer hopes that it might piss a bunch of people off but not enough to take action. Not to say in any way the Meater is not a legit product, it might be a home run with delays, who knows.

just my 2 cents.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #49
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Sounds like they shipped about 250 of them to backers, according to commentors on the Kickstarter page. I am backer #2797, but I ordered the block, so will probably be another year before I see mine.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #50
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'hoogie View Post
smooth and ssv,

For any type of investment one cannot take the attitude that "oh well, it's not that much money". Cummulatively, it's a HUGE sum of money and if a product or service ends up being fraudulent, investors/consumers should not write it off so easily even if the cost is low. This is what a scammer hopes that it might piss a bunch of people off but not enough to take action. Not to say in any way the Meater is not a legit product, it might be a home run with delays, who knows.

just my 2 cents.
You're correct and I agree with you sentiment about a scam. Just seems like there's a few people in here who are acting like this company stole a few thousand dollars from them and has nothing to show for it. They seem to think this whole thing is a conspiracy even though they are actually shipping the end item.

My whole point about the $60 was whether or not it will work as advertised. My iGrill2 worked as advertised for a few months, my Maverick NEVER worked properly, but my Smoke is doing quite well. Between the Maverick and the iGrill 2 that's over $200 retail with the extra probes I had to buy since they kept failing. If MEATER shows up and it doesn't work as well as advertised then that seems par for the course for these digital thermometers and I'm only out $60. haha
SmoothBoarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #51
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'hoogie View Post
smooth and ssv,

just my 2 cents.
Hoogie,

This actually is not an investment. This is crowdfunding where someone has an idea that wants to bring it to life and requires capital so they ask for pledges. I made a pledge for the Meater idea being fully aware that it can flop for variety of reasons. It made sense to me at the end so I took a gamble.

There's definitely been kickstarter fraud too but I've pledged on other projects and got my reward at the end. We'll see on this one.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #52
sturev
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Pils...

Here's a review that was just posted and seems legit (person has backed 21 projects on KS over the last 5 years)

M.H. about 4 hours ago
Used my Meater for the first time yesterday and was pretty impressed. There were a few issues with the bluetooth functionality but nothing I don't think is fixable. Bluetooth range from my Weber smoker was less than 10 feet, which was a little disappointing, but the Meater Link feature worked as advertised so it wasn't a showstopper.
My biggest problem was not being able to install the app on any of my older Android devices because they don't have Bluetooth LE. I understand that can't work directly with the probes but they should work fine using the Link or cloud features. I tried side-loading the app to one of the old devices but even then the app won't get past the setup screens without the Bluetooth LE functionality. It's a bummer because it seems like an artificial restriction.
Overall I'm still impressed with the Meater. I was able to monitor my brisket from inside the house and it turned out great. I really like the graph feature in the app and it clearly showed the "stall" as well as how the ambient temperature dipped and rebounded every time the smoker was opened.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #53
sturev
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Pils...

More good news... this poster has backed 39 projects over the last 3 years, even included a pic!

Alexander Salter about 10 hours ago
Backer 872 here, just got two of the single probes, waiting on the 4 x block.
Product looks very polished, well done. https://ibb.co/ejxdgQ
Now to cook me some MEATS!

Last edited by sturev; 04-19-2017 at 04:14 PM..
sturev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #54
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

He also did a more detailed post. So it looks like we will eventually see this in our food.

http://www.alswebpage.net/meater/
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #55
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Looks like it works and the issues he raised are minor changes to the app, not the Meater. Would have been a better test to cook something that actually need cooking more than just a sear on each side, but it's a start...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote