charcoal ?

matt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does it really make a difference in what kind of charcoal you use ? do some get hotter then others ? and do some burn longer then others? which one is the best.

Does it really make a difference in what kind of charcoal you use ? do some get hotter then others ? and do some burn longer then others? which one is the best.

In answer to all of your questions,

Yes, yes, yes and it depends on who you ask and what they are cooking in and how they cook.

Yeah, it depends on what you're using it for. There are all kinds of variables. temp, ash production, burn time, flavor, price, etc....

It has all been discussed on this forum. I'm sure you could do a search and find tons of info.

Don't buy the cheap chit - get some lump!

And yes it burns hotter!

Does lump burn longer than the other stuff?:confused:

I use at least 2 brands, kf in my uprights and ro lump in my offsets. I found a great clearance deal at target on Kingsford 1/2 price 3.25 for a 18lb bag. and still have some rancher to mix in. Use what you like, like what you use!!!

Get the best chit you can buy locally. Dont go overboard in ordering charcoal and having it shipped to you. Kingsford is fine. Rancher is great - and at $2.99/bag you just cant beat it. Royal Oak lump is great.

Check out this site for lots of great info on charcoal. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I usually use a mixture of kf and ro lump for every chimney full I add to the firebox. kf for the longer burn and ro lump to keep the temps up.

I picked up my BGE today. The guy I bought it from also gave me a big bag of Cowboy lump. There was also some in the cooker so I figured I would burn it out. The stuff smells farkin horrible!!! I know I am not going to cook anything with it!!!

For the UDS it is Rancher and more Rancher.

Gonna go pick up some Rancer today. Found out a HD in the area has 91 bags in stock.

MrsMista: You have 7 bags of charcoal. What do you need more for?

Bigmista: Winter.

Back