MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #11431
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Nice ! so when does your second build begin
Gotta master this one first... but I am thinking a miniature could be interesting..?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #11432
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Nice looking build.......
Thanks.
I read this entire thread along with as many others I could find here.

Took everything in stages and took some time to look for answers here before moving forward again.

"Borrowed" a lot of great ideas from here and came-up with a couple of my own too...

Very happy with the results.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #11433
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenfinger View Post
Thanks.
I read this entire thread along with as many others I could find here.

Took everything in stages and took some time to look for answers here before moving forward again.

"Borrowed" a lot of great ideas from here and came-up with a couple of my own too...

Very happy with the results.
Just curious what are those on top of your intakes?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #11434
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry for the dark photo's...

They are breathers designed for hydraulic tanks. [3/4" NPT]

I removed the actual filter media...

Just left the stem and bell housing...

Since I'm in Canada, I wanted something on top that would block the rain and snow from entering the intake pipes without restricting air flow... weather conditions around here are not always ideal, so one must be prepared...

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #11435
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs27410 View Post
Because of all the rain I added a patio umbrella to my drum. 1" conduit hangers fit the pole perfectly.
Yeah.... I tried the Mary Poppins mod too. First hard gust of wind picked up my UDS and made it even "U"ier.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #11436
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
Believe it or not, it is easier to level your cooking rack with 3 bolts instead of 4. I used 3 U bolts.
I used three also.

I also put pegs on along the top of the fire basket that lock into the U bolts so that I could bring the fire right up under the cooking grate for direct heat cooking.

Makes a great chicken cooker.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #11437
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Yep, using just (3) bolts, u-bolts or eyebolts is really great advice.
Racks will sit really solid...

Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #11438
bvbull200
Take a breath!

What are your opinions on a single 4" exhaust? No adjustment, just a capped/uncapped sort of situation.

Actually, let me rephrase that. I took the vent out of the lid I have for this UDS (it was a 22.5" Charbroil dome). I made a hole out of it and put in a 4" 90* ducting because that is what fit. I can make some little adjustments to the opening inside the lid to shrink it down if necessary, but there are no plans to make it adjustable on the fly.

The intake is 3 3/4" pipe nipples with removable caps and 1 3/4" pipe nipple with a ball valve on it. Will the intake adjustment be enough to tame a 4" opening or do I need to plan on making the exhaust a little smaller?

For the record, the ducting is galvanized. I've read all I can on the subject and feel confident that it will be just fine after hitting it with the weed burner.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #11439
tom9193
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

[/IMG]thanks to this thread here is my attempt at my first drum[/IMG]all burned up[/IMG]with diffuser[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]all done getting seasoned and running temp tests
tom9193 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #11440
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
What are your opinions on a single 4" exhaust? No adjustment, just a capped/uncapped sort of situation.
I used a 4 inch hole for the exhaust that I do have adjustment for and 2) 1 1/2 pipe elbows for inlets that are also adjustable. I am able to reach and hold temps from under 200 to over 700 degrees ( the gauge does not read above 700 but the needle goes way past). So yes it does work, but for 350 degrees and lower you will need to control the exhaust. You have to be able to control the air flow at both ends with an opening that large for the exhaust. I do use that large opening to check on the stuff in the smoker without having to lift the lid.

Last edited by ebijack; 09-22-2013 at 07:09 AM..
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #11441
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Thanks for the feedback.

I went ahead and made a damper like yours and put it on. Might as well have the adjustability, I suppose.

Base coat of paint is on. The logo goes on next weekend along with building the coal basket and I'll be done. I won't have any thermometers in it until I deliver it to my buddy. He needs to decide if he is doing a digital thermometer or not and then what analog dial he wants based on that.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #11442
callmecamo
Found some matches.

Now that sir, is awesome.
callmecamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #11443
lavinjj
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post

Actually, let me rephrase that. I took the vent out of the lid I have for this UDS (it was a 22.5" Charbroil dome). I made a hole out of it and put in a 4" 90* ducting because that is what fit. I can make some little adjustments to the opening inside the lid to shrink it down if necessary, but there are no plans to make it adjustable on the fly.

The intake is 3 3/4" pipe nipples with removable caps and 1 3/4" pipe nipple with a ball valve on it. Will the intake adjustment be enough to tame a 4" opening or do I need to plan on making the exhaust a little smaller?

For the record, the ducting is galvanized. I've read all I can on the subject and feel confident that it will be just fine after hitting it with the weed burner.
I just finished up an experiment this weekend with one of my new UDS builds. I actually went with the 8 holes in the lid instead of using the existing 2 inch hole and noticed that the variance in temperature across the grill was greatly reduced.

With the single 2 inch exhaust I was seeing a 30 degree difference between the side of the barrel where my thermometer was and the center of the grill. I also saw another 20 degree difference higher where the exhaust was.

With the 8 exhaust holes I saw about a 15 degree difference between the side of the barrel and the center of the grill and the hot spot was gone altogether.

Based on that I would say the eight holes helps to distribute the heat across your grill compared to using a single exhaust.
lavinjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #11444
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default UDS Intake

Here is the intake I have been using for the past few builds I have completed. I didn't come up with this design, I found someone on here that used it too. It's some scrap aluminum approx 1/16". I has 4 1" holes which has the surface area of Pi (3.1416). There is no trouble controlling air flow. A buddy of mine cooked 60-70lbs of pork butts on it at one time and had zero problems maintaing heat.

Just thought I would share it with everyone.
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #11445
Cue-Ball
Found some matches.

First few cooks on my UDS;
Ribs - Delicious, but overdone. Fell apart, but tasted GREAT.
Moinks - Delicious and seemingly impossible to screw up.
Butt - Absolutely delicious
Brisket flat - Never done one of these before... a tiny tiny bit overdone (fell apart too much) and a bit on the peppery side, but all in all delicious, especially for my first brisket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0095.jpg (42.5 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0097.jpg (56.1 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0098.jpg (30.9 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0100.jpg (46.5 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0102.jpg (62.5 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0112.jpg (43.6 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0116.jpg (31.0 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0117.jpg (43.2 KB, 632 views)
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker