MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

Default Who knows the secret recipe?

I've looked at the baked bean threads and I have made Wampus' peach bourbon beans before, (Which are GREAT, by the way.) but I had some baked beans a couple weeks ago, that blew me away. I don't think we are supposed to name commercial places on here, soooo...... they were done by a guy named Rodney, in Charlston, S.C. Does anyone have a recipe that is anywhere close to his?

I wouldn't mind just buying them from him, but he's a 7 hour drive, from my house. LOL

Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Nothing wrong with naming the place!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

You could always ask the establishment?

You could just tell them you really loved the beans. Further explain that you live out of the area so you wanted to try to recreate them at home. If they don’t give you the exact recipe, ask them for a few tips on making something similar at home. They will probably offer you a clue to create something similar at home, but don’t be surprised if you don’t receive a response.

It might even be something really simple. Back when I worked at a mom/pop bbq joint in college, everyone loved our beans. They were pintos, with some diced canned green chiles added, some chopped up rib meat, and for flavor?? About 2-3 ladle fulls of the house bbq sauce. That’s it. They were super simple and one of the best selling sides.

So I’ll offer you a glimmer of hope. One time I emailed a restaurant inquiring about their “onion jam” recipe. I said it was excellent (best I’ve ever had) but live 1200 miles away, so I’d like any tips they could offer to make it. Later that day...the restaurant had emailed me the exact recipe (in metric weights) and told me they were glad I liked it so much. They also encouraged stop back by the next time I was in town.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

I have a similar story, I raved about this restaurants (that's actually pretty close to me) hot crab dip. I asked for the recipe via email. The next day the manager replied with the ingredient list but said she didn't put the measurements because they make it 50 gallons at a time.
I've gotten very close, but not quite exact.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tons of recipes online for Carolina beans. I’ve never seen Mr Scott’s beans. Was there meat? Just the way I think but bet a lot of it is made up as they go. By that I mean a basic standard recipe however leftover meats from the day are chopped/added used in the beans. If that’s the case the beans may vary from batch to batch. If no meat- the type(s) bean with ketchup sugar and vinegar seem to be mentioned a lot.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Restaurants are often happy to give out the recipes. They realize most people won't make the food and enjoy going out. One of my favorite restaurants has the recipe for every item on their menu posted on their website. There's at least a two-hour wait to get in.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Nothing wrong with naming the place!
I'm sure y'all know, but it was Rodney Scotts BBQ, in Charleston, S.C.

For the record, the food was EXCELLENT. Also, I spoke briefly to Rodney, who seemed to be a heck of a nice guy.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Roseville View Post
You could always ask the establishment?

You could just tell them you really loved the beans. Further explain that you live out of the area so you wanted to try to recreate them at home. If they don’t give you the exact recipe, ask them for a few tips on making something similar at home. They will probably offer you a clue to create something similar at home, but don’t be surprised if you don’t receive a response.

It might even be something really simple. Back when I worked at a mom/pop bbq joint in college, everyone loved our beans. They were pintos, with some diced canned green chiles added, some chopped up rib meat, and for flavor?? About 2-3 ladle fulls of the house bbq sauce. That’s it. They were super simple and one of the best selling sides.

So I’ll offer you a glimmer of hope. One time I emailed a restaurant inquiring about their “onion jam” recipe. I said it was excellent (best I’ve ever had) but live 1200 miles away, so I’d like any tips they could offer to make it. Later that day...the restaurant had emailed me the exact recipe (in metric weights) and told me they were glad I liked it so much. They also encouraged stop back by the next time I was in town.
This makes me think of 2 things. First, I didn't even think about just asking. I guess I'm just used to pitmasters having so many secrets. Sauce, rub, etc. LOL

Second, your statement about the green chilis caught my attention. When I was eating his beans, I was trying to decide if that was a hint of green chili I was tasting, in the background.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Tons of recipes online for Carolina beans. I’ve never seen Mr Scott’s beans. Was there meat? Just the way I think but bet a lot of it is made up as they go. By that I mean a basic standard recipe however leftover meats from the day are chopped/added used in the beans. If that’s the case the beans may vary from batch to batch. If no meat- the type(s) bean with ketchup sugar and vinegar seem to be mentioned a lot.
If there was meat, there was very little. I was thinking maybe some pieces of bacon.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
I'm sure y'all know, but it was Rodney Scotts BBQ, in Charleston, S.C.

For the record, the food was EXCELLENT. Also, I spoke briefly to Rodney, who seemed to be a heck of a nice guy.
Nope... I've never heard of the place, so this helps!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Sometimes you have to trust your palate and try to reverse engineer by what you see and what you taste/smell.

I ate at a BBQ joint in Salinas, CA and their half chicken was absolutely amazing. Some of the best I’ve ever had. They never responded when I asked for the recipe.

But I knew it was only dry seasoned and it looked the same coming off the pit out back as it did on the plate. I didn’t take a picture of it, but found one online (and it was how I remembered it).

The seasoning was very close to Oakridge Santa Maria (very close)...but not quite right. It had a little sweetness to it so I mixed up some Santa Maria with a little white sugar added. Bam! Nailed it. Even my wife commented it tasted just like that chicken we had that day.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Nope... I've never heard of the place, so this helps!
He's an old school country boy, cooking whole hog over hardwood coals.......and he has a James Beard award.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0e9MS26QmA

There are also plenty of videos on youtube from his families place out in the S.C. countryside.

Thanks from: --->