MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #3856
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
your exhaust can be black pipe, abs,galvanized exhaust pipe or non existent. Unless you hang your meet over the exhaust it won't make any difference!! The reason the experienced builders use the 2" pipe is that it is the easiest to control. I think the holy lid messes with the convection of a drum and is a pain to damper off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Au Contraire Mon Fraire!
(always wanted to say that) Evenly spaced holes are the best convection.
I agree that evenly spaced holes are the best convection. With my set up, 3 half inch pipe nipples for intake, my drum will not get much hotter than 250*. That works fine for most anything I'm cooking. If it needs to get hotter than that, just remove the threaded bungs. 375* is almost instantaneous.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #3857
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like the way to go...It's almost a done deal...Except I still want to use a Webber lid...If I remeber right they only have four holes set to one side...need I add more to even it out??
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #3858
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker jack View Post
I managed to find a local metal fab shop wthin about two miles down the road..I was able two purchase smaller pieces of the expanded metals real cheap, as they were left over cuts from previous jobs.
The ash pan is just a lid from a 30 gal drum that they gave me from the reconditioned barrel purchase...Then I bought the other piece of flat stock from the metal fab dudes and worked it into a diameter that fit into the drum lid... All the metals cost only about 15$..And I have some left over for future builds....
What really hurt $$wise was the stainless bolts and hardware, tools that I didn't have layin' around, and gas money drivin' around to pick things up.....

Still can't find that used webber kettle...Darn!
Rainin' too hard for any yard sales....

Fircrckerjack
Nice lookin drum!

That stainless steel hardware is costly, but I wouldn't want to chance with using anything else.

When you are ready to get rid of that DPP 60, let me know...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3859
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

thanks for the info on the galvinized issue. it's good to know. i will stick with my 2 inch pipe. alot easier to shut down. and it cooks great.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #3860
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

fwiw, there is a 2" electrical conduit fitting that will screw right into the bung hole. I have had no problem with my 2" smoke stack.

I have had problems with my metal pipe nipples and caps - will nead to work on them. They rusted so bad I could not open them (cap rusted to nipple). I am not sure if I will just wire brush them and periodically coat them in oil, go to brass or galvanized. Right now they are simply a pita.

On the other hand, thinking about replacing them completely with a bbq guru.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #3861
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker jack View Post
I'm sorry Eatonhogg, I didnt realize it was you...I bought it at Van Buren Steel fabricators in Belleville mi, 48111

OK, thanks for the info. I bought my expanded metal at all metals inc. out in Adrian. Belleville is a lot closer, may try there next time.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #3862
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
fwiw, there is a 2" electrical conduit fitting that will screw right into the bung hole. I have had no problem with my 2" smoke stack.

I have had problems with my metal pipe nipples and caps - will nead to work on them. They rusted so bad I could not open them (cap rusted to nipple). I am not sure if I will just wire brush them and periodically coat them in oil, go to brass or galvanized. Right now they are simply a pita.

On the other hand, thinking about replacing them completely with a bbq guru.
A guru is a neat addition but otherwise I would just use sheet magnets or speaker magnets.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #3863
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

I got the same issue with mine. I think I'll just put on a couple more valves.
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #3864
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mranum View Post

Check price of ss nipples and caps vs valves 1st
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #3865
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Rich,

After watching how steady the temps held after I got them to stabilize(even though they weren't as low as I would like), without having to do any adjusting Or fiddlin' around with anything, or addin fuel. I was already impressed to the point of selling the Diamondplate pit 60...Ran a sales add today...Just kiddin.
Crazy as it might sound..I like tending the big stick burner all day...Grab me a chair..Find some shade...Maybe a glass of iced tea...Throw a stick or two on every once in a while...Heck I guess I just like playing with fire! And then there's always you get to eat at the end...Even if your Que' don't turn out any good because you're just gettin' started learning your new pit, go ahead and eat it anyways...You don't really gotta' tell any body about it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Nice lookin drum!

That stainless steel hardware is costly, but I wouldn't want to chance with using anything else.

When you are ready to get rid of that DPP 60, let me know...
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #3866
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mranum View Post

I just spray mine with a shot of cooking oil when I shut them down at the end of a cook. You have to shut them down tight as you can by hand. Three or more weeks with rain every week and no issues.

Boy that's an ugly weld. You can tell I didn't prepare the metal well. just sticking to the theme.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #3867
MadKirk
Knows what a fatty is.

I know pics, or did not happen, but seasoned drum Sunday and smoked a fatty in the process. It was great with biscuits and gravy! Ran 7 hours at around 225-235 for the season and only burned through maybe 5-6 lbs of charcoal. I was very impressed for the first run.

On the pipe or holes debate, does the pipe help with draw, or does it make much difference over just using the 2" bung hole in the lid? I ran with just an open bung in the lid, and noticed that when the wind kicked up, smoke would briefly come out the ball valve. Wondering if an exhaust pipe would help with this.
MadKirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #3868
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I think the main advantage to the holes rather than the pipe is putting a cover on the uds when you are done. The main advantage to the pipe is being able to cap it and keep water out w/o needing to put a cover on.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #3869
nzrebel
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks to a Brethren's tip I have found a source of lined but clean food grade drums with lids for $10 in the greater DC area.
PM me for details.

Dave

Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #3870
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Just finished my drum smoker with a door for jiggling. I thought the door would be enough air flow but it shuts so tight it put's the charcoal out so I've added air holes with magnets and am now ready for a test run this weekend. Brisquit is on the menu 1/2 hour per pound at 220. This will be the second trial run for competition. By the way how does one become a farker as I have been called something similar many times.
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker