• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Another good source for drums is a livestock feed supplier.

tried my local feed supply joint today. no luck. tractor supply was a bust as well.

Well after reading this thread "twice"! I tackled my first build. Thanks to all for the ideas!

Burning out freebie barrel..
SANY0708.jpg

Making firebox out of old grill..
SANY0710.jpg

Firebox done..
SANY0725.jpg

Decided to trim Weber lid to fit into drum lid..
SANY0720.jpg

Lid cut out...
SANY0723.jpg

Fitting..and it worked. Brazed it together after grinding porcelin off in a few spots.
SANY0726.jpg

Air intake..
SANY0727.jpg

Twin racks and test fire..
SANY0728.jpg

Test chicken..
SANY0729.jpg

A bit of paint and shortened a handcart to bolt to barrel for transportation. Going to raise it 2" to keep off of ground before bolting together.
SANY0747.jpg

Ash poker in cart hole..
SANY0748.jpg

Sorry if this is to long, but thank again to all your posts for ideas!!

Quiggs of Lake Havasu!!

Finally done, added a few light flames and bolted to the handcart after raising it off the ground a few inches..

SANY0749.jpg

SANY0752.jpg

Now to practice!!!

I saw a crazy man with a web site trying to sell them for $600. Wow. Plus shipping. He also had a kit, barrel not included, for $400. Holy crap. I am in the process of making my first with plans to make another with a different design. 1 with flat lid and one with Weber lid. Gonna keep the one I like best and sell the other locally. Shipping is a big issue with these things, so the best bet is to build one your self, if you have the tools, or find someone nearby who can do it for you. All you really need is a drill, a step bit and some wrenches. Bound to be someone who lives relatively close to you who would be willing. Good luck. My cost was $30 for a reconditioned barrel all burned out and bead blasted, and about another $30 for the hardware and expando. Plus time. But since I've got more time than money, pretty cheap.

I have a total of about 65-70 bucks in mine....and would pay twice that much for the fun of building one and cooking some dang good Q on a cooker that I made on a cooker that "I" made.

I have a total of about 65-70 bucks in mine....and would pay twice that much for the fun of building one and cooking some dang good Q on a cooker that I made on a cooker that "I" made.

Bragging rights go a long way. Pride in ownership.

My friend and I have started ours. Have them all cleaned up and the intakes on them. Just need to build the firebox and drill the holes for the racks. Hopefully will be finished up tomorrow so that we can fire it up on Saturday, then cook on it on Sunday. Will have to post some pics when we're done.

is there anyone that would be willing to physically talk to me about a uds build? if so please pm ur #... thanks!

I wanted to show everyone my new lid setup. I wanted to be able to run 2 grill racks, so with a lot of digging around here, and some help from a few members (thanks for the info Barbarian), here's what I did:
I had a few other barrels that I had planned on using to make a big baby double barrel smoker with. I canned (lol) that idea after reading this thread on the UDS. I cut around the drum with a cut off wheel, 7" from the top on a closed head drum. I was going to cut the center out of a spare top from another drum, after cutting it out I was going to weld the the "ring" I had left to the top I had cut off the drum. While I was checking for fit before welding, I turned the "ring" upside down and set it on the top of my UDS, then put the new lid on, perfect airtight fit. When I originally cut the center out of the top, I was really after just getting the outer most ring or lip from it, in order to make a good seal on the UDS. Flipping it upside down worked out better than I could have imagined. Here's a few pic's:

It's kind of hard to see the new ring on there
IMG_2247.jpg

From a different angle:
IMG_2250.jpg

Lid all finished:
IMG_2252.jpg

And the final result:
IMG_2258.jpg

I used it for the first time yesterday with the new lid. Temps where much easier to control. My old lid had 8 1/2" holes drilled around it, but I thnk when I used the weed burner to take the paint off, it warped the lid so bad I wasn't getting a good seal. This new setup is perfect. The lid fits nice and snug around the new lip.

Yesterday I was using the setup I showed above, and had trouble getting the temps to hold below 300*, and because of that my magnets I was using for vent flaps kinda got stuck to my barrel, so I am wondering what other non weld suggestions there are, I was thinking about the electrical box cover idea, seems feasible but will the concave of the barrel have any neg effects to the vents seal?

Also, on keeping a lower temp, I was running two shoulders, my charcoal basket is 14x8 and 16" tall, bottom of basket is 3" off barrel bottom, any ideas? the basket didnt want to burn evenly, which is why I did more than half a chimney at the beginning.

Finally did it!

Well it sure did take awhile but I got through all 181 pages of this thread. I have two drums at the moment 1 has all the holes drilled, been burned out, wire brushed, and oiled and has 1 coat of black paint on it. Flat top. The second coat should happen on Saturday with an inaugural cook on Sunday or Monday. Thank you to all who have gone before. I will post pics when I put on all the hardware, including the bottle opener. The second drum has had nothing done to it yet. I'm thinking to have it with a Weber top and two grates, removable bottom. But that's up in the air. I posted this today because there has not been a new post for 3 days!!

Dunno if I would monkey with an open bottom again.
Neat theory but still a PIA to empty. My first one was like that.
I use the Pooper Scooper nowadays. Faster, cleaner
and a lot less hassle.

I have both a Flat Top and a Webber lid.
Jury is still out as to which one I like the best.
They are almost totally different cookers.

Weiser

Well it sure did take awhile but I got through all 181 pages of this thread. I have two drums at the moment 1 has all the holes drilled, been burned out, wire brushed, and oiled and has 1 coat of black paint on it. Flat top. The second coat should happen on Saturday with an inaugural cook on Sunday or Monday. Thank you to all who have gone before. I will post pics when I put on all the hardware, including the bottle opener. The second drum has had nothing done to it yet. I'm thinking to have it with a Weber top and two grates, removable bottom. But that's up in the air. I posted this today because there has not been a new post for 3 days!!

How much coal?

Hi Guys,

I'm building my smoker this weekend thanks to your help. But I still am unsure about the quantity of coal (Briquettes or lump) for a 12 hour cook? Also do I chimney the whole amount or just a starter amount on top of new coal? Thanks

Masiewiz

Good luck and have fun with the build. As far as charcoal, Fill up your basket with charcoal and a few chunks of smoke wood. Light about 10 briquettes and dump on top of the unlit. Catch the temps on the way up and you should have no problem. Some folks use a weed burner to light the coals too. This is all hearsay as I've yet to do a cook!

read your notes from this threadroman numeral 3-section 12-bullet point 17-subsection 42-under lighting charcoal...It's right there under one of Norco's rants that you highlighted in orange to represent fire....I use lump....fill basket with unlit....start 6-8 in chimney dump on top.......monitor fire temp ect...

Dunno if I would monkey with an open bottom again.
Neat theory but still a PIA to empty.

Weiser

I'm not going to make a decision until after I actually try my first one with the flat top. The Weber top almost fits on the bottom of the second drum so that's why I'm leaning that way. Air leaks concern me though and having a ring at ground level, so you are probably steering me in the right direction. Thanks. A 3 lb. sledge around the barrels rolled rim should take care of the Weber no fit. I'll let you know.

Back