MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #61
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

It is a strange set up. Once you go through the ordering process it gives you several options. The cheapest estimate was around $17. They are going to contact me with an exact cost prior to shipping. I will let you know when they do.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #62
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I took a 16" Pizza pan and used my pipe crimpers to bend the edge straight up and it gave me a 1" edge around the pan.

I can fill this with water or sand to shield the cooking surface and temper the heat.

Cookin' Along

It works really well for me.
Jed

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #63
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
I took a 16" Pizza pan and used my pipe crimpers to bend the edge straight up and it gave me a 1" edge around the pan.

I can fill this with water or sand to shield the cooking surface and temper the heat.

Cookin' Along

It works really well for me.
Jed
I am surprised that the pizza sheet stands up to the heat. I have been using an old fry pan that I removed the handle from. After 9 months it is almost unusable. The heat has really warped and bent to metal. I hope the cordierite disc holds up better.

btw nice back yard.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #64
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Shipping was $23 plus a handling charge.

All in it is $57.88 (little more then I would have liked). Since I already have a spider from the ceramic grill store I hope I now have a long term solution that works. I also picked up a way to have direct / indirect heat with the half shelf.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #65
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I am surprised that the pizza sheet stands up to the heat. I have been using an old fry pan that I removed the handle from. After 9 months it is almost unusable. The heat has really warped and bent to metal. I hope the cordierite disc holds up better.

btw nice back yard.
There is always either water or sand in the pan.
Thanks,
jed

Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #66
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I like the idea of Hometruckin's crimped pizza pan for on top of my lava stone. I could get a size of pan that when finished/crimped it extends the baffling of my stone from 15" to 16". Excellent idea, I love it, thanks for sharing.

For those liking the idea of a pan to extend baffling past the 15" lava stone, I've been smoking with the same old, thin pizza pan for a year and it's still in workable condition. I don't put sand or water in it, just use it as a drip tray. I'm surprised so many Vision owners don't need the 2nd pan baffle above the stone like I do. I smoke a lot of 20# pork legs and shoulders at 250 to 275'F. I find pizza and pastry/pies need the second baffle, too.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #67
pupka1951
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I know that the discussion on the Vision Kamado -indirect setup is an older posting but just purchased a Vision Class B from Costco, same problem as everybody else, thanks for the pics an explanation. This is what brought me to the community. Thanks think I'll stay awhile and smell the smoke !
pupka1951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #68
Werdlone
Got rid of the matchlight.

just ordered the KJ heat deflector for my vision kamado. thanks for this post. was lost when I couldn't find the vision deflector anywhere. The KJ indirect setup honestly looks better than the vision setup!
Werdlone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #69
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
I like the idea of Hometruckin's crimped pizza pan for on top of my lava stone. I could get a size of pan that when finished/crimped it extends the baffling of my stone from 15" to 16". Excellent idea, I love it, thanks for sharing.

For those liking the idea of a pan to extend baffling past the 15" lava stone, I've been smoking with the same old, thin pizza pan for a year and it's still in workable condition. I don't put sand or water in it, just use it as a drip tray. I'm surprised so many Vision owners don't need the 2nd pan baffle above the stone like I do. I smoke a lot of 20# pork legs and shoulders at 250 to 275'F. I find pizza and pastry/pies need the second baffle, too.
Thanks for the props Kathy, I'll send ya few. I get the pans at RD and they last a long time. I have since tried the other throw away pans and am not happy with the results. It's back to crimpin. PM where to send them.
Jed

Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #70
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdlone View Post
just ordered the KJ heat deflector for my vision kamado. thanks for this post. was lost when I couldn't find the vision deflector anywhere. The KJ indirect setup honestly looks better than the vision setup!
Can you post a pic of it?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #71
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

When smoking, does anyone else have trouble adding wood chunks to the fire with the deflector stone in place?

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #72
drjiveturkey
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfish01 View Post
When smoking, does anyone else have trouble adding wood chunks to the fire with the deflector stone in place?
I use a BGE plate setter (that's all I could find locally). The gap is wide enough to slide small chunks through, or use a rake to move a chunk that's already in the firebox over into the fire. If I have to remove the rack first I just set it on a pot to catch the drippings then lift up the plate setter.
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #73
Kimosabe
Found some matches.

This post alone is worth the price of admission!!!

Thank YOU!!! Problem solved!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #74
oaks519
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default A new bee thanks

This is a great post. I am a Kamado new bee with the Vision Classic from Costco. Great ideas for indirect deflectors. Tonight I used 1 full pizza stone and cut up a second pizza stone and just placed it on the lower grill. Got a 12# Brisket on the go. We'll see how it works out in the morning.
oaks519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #75
Scottydont81
On the road to being a farker

I picked up a kamado joe heat deflector and bge pizza stone. The KJ worked great for low n slow pork shoulder as long as you didn't need both cooking racks. You can fit a drip pan with the KJ heat deflector in the lower postion. Cooking pizza with the KJ heat deflector in the upper position and the bge pizza stone on top worked great. I just wish the bge pizza stone was bigger, it is an inch smaller the the KJ. I may try just the KJ heat deflector and bge pizza stone on the top rake to get the pizza higher in the dome.
Scottydont81 is offline   Reply With Quote