Polish food?

OK, I just added this thread to my favorites. These recipes are keepers.

Can't have a polish thread without Golbki, stuffed cabbage rolls.

Take a head of cabbage and remove the core.
Cook in water over meadium heat and remove leaves one at a time
When cood trim down the center vain. they're roll up better

Stuffing
1/2 pound pork
1/2 pound ground chuck
salt, pepper to taste
1 cup of boiled rice
Fry up meat and mix with rice

Add some stuffing to leaf and roll it up. Make sure to roll the sides in as you roll the leaf.

Put the Golbkis in a baking dish and cover with tomatoe sauce.
Bake at 350* for about 40 minutes or until cabbage is tender and see through.

Additional seasoning and whatever can be added to the stuffing as you see fit. These are just great. Now if you make to much stuffing, then its on to stuffed green peppers. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Can't have a polish thread without Golbki, stuffed cabbage rolls.

My mom would make these with a sweet and sour tomato sauce. The only thing I remember about how she cooked them was that she included ginger snaps, maybe in the stuffing along with the rice. Boy that brings back mouth watering memories.

No, ginger snaps in sauce, to thicken after cooking is what I was taught.

I have to agree with the Chicago suggestion... Ukranian village neighborhood has great polish delis and restaurants...

Since everyone here is Polish Im gonna post some more pics.

I am; if you havent guessed, Polish at heart.

DSC00062.jpg

DSC09908.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

DSC09898.jpg

Gulash2009007.jpg

DSC04400.jpg

Gulash2009008.jpg

DSC04360.jpg

DSC04356.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

copyofcheckfromCapoozzolimetalwo-10.jpg

copyofcheckfromCapoozzolimetalwo-11.jpg

Slovenskysobasnylist-KikaaBilly004.jpg

Pie002-14.jpg

Pie001-11.jpg

I absolutely love Central and Eastern European food.

The suffed cabbage in the last pick is real good stuff. When I make my saurkraut I leave som of the leaves whole. Then I pack them into the crock with the other kraut. They trun into saukraut leaves for stuffing. Awesome!

I like that last idea, fermenting whole leaves for stuffing, that would have to be good.

Thats actually a Ukrainian thing. Then they stuff them with millet and make a sauce of sour cream and paprika.

But the kraut leaves work great for just regular stuffed cabbage too.

I'm NOT 100 percent Polish but several of my family members are ( I'm American mostly german to be exact)....... Authentic well in Poland they probably boil it BUT. get some LEGIT kielbasa and grill it like you grill brats and IMO it's the finest sausage you can put on a grill. HOWEVER I happen to originally be from an area where there isn't any white people that don't have kraut or polock roots (I have both). That might get me a warning but you Know what I mean. I can't buy legit Kielbasa here in Virginia. I buy a S ton of it when I go home to Michigan freeze it ice the crap out of it and put it in the freezer as soon as I get home.

Didn't read your whole post sorry. I thought you had been deprived of Perogies and duck blood soup all your life. Either way REAL Kielbasa needs a lot more press and maybe you need to start making and selling it in your area. I'm thinking about it.

Oh my god my drunken german / polish behind just read it again......... You haven't....... I read in the polish fashion!

google some kielbasa recipes. buy the stuff make some and GRILL IT! If you gotta you gotta. and it sounds like you gotta.

Can't beat that Kowalski Kowality! Love that stuff to death. Fresh Kowalski Kielbasa, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, now that's heaven...

My Mom had a Cousin who retired from the Army and lived in El Paso, Tx. Every year she'd go down to visit and pack half a suitcase full of frozen kielbasa for him. Way before the days of TSA .

Back