Tried something new with the Slow and Sear

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Probably could have survived without the extra space but cooked some costco prime ribeyes and a couple filets SV and finished with a sear on the kettle. I had cooked a whole chicken earlier in the day so I added more coals to the slow and sear and also started a chimney. When it was hot, I pulled the slow and sear to the middle of the grill and dumped the chimney next to it -- gave me two high heat areas separated by just the water trough.

Steaks were seasoned with kosher salt prior to the SV bath and then some Carne Crosta before the sear. Probably the best steaks I've ever cooked.

IMG_3524-XL.jpg

IMG_3525-XL.jpg

IMG_3527-XL.jpg

IMG_3528-XL.jpg

Geez, you are one smart dude... why didn’t I think of that (please don’t answer!)? Perfect way to create a LARGE intense sear zone as things come off my pellet cooker!

Geez, you are one smart dude... why didn’t I think of that (please don’t answer!)? Perfect way to create a LARGE intense sear zone as things come off my pellet cooker!

Smart would have been doing it somewhere other than on my deck. Several opportunities to drop coals on it. I did actually end up pulling out the extinguisher just to be safe but that was because the coals lit up the grease from the chicken that I'd cooked earlier. Had a nice little bonfire going for a few minutes. Would have made for a cook picture for the current throwdown but it was pretty nasty smelling.

You'd have a huge area if you did it with your 26"

After SV a steak, I just sear by putting a rack directly over my chimney.
Can't beat that heat.

Back