MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Default Cooking the point and flat separately

Cooking brisket tomorrow and I'm thinking about separating the point and flat and cooking them separately. I've cook a many a brisket but I've never tried this before. Thoughts anyone.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Put the point on the rack above the flat if possible. We only cook separated anymore.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what Shane sez!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Why would you think that would be better? Just asking.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

When I've cooked a brisket this way, it hasn't turned out as good. (that's low n slow or hot n' fast)
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I am no brisket expert by any means, but I have started separating the point and flat before cooking. So far I am liking the results.

My thinking is that these are two very different muscles, that do not cook the same way or for the same amount of time. That being said, many great brisket cooks cook whole packers, and wouldn't consider anything else.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I separate after cooking. The flat next to the point is usually very good due to the fat rendering in the point.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Have done them both ways. More surface = more bark.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks everyone. I have decided to stick to the tried and true cook together. Ill post picks later.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I guess its an alternative to when you cannot make both sections cook properly because of meat cut, gear, technique or skill limitations. At some point when you begin wasting money on brisket because your flats are tough, you just give up and go for "good enough," right? While points come out fine, flats are never as good as when they are cooked properly with the point attached. Its the extra buffer the mass of the point imparts on the flat that makes them so tender...uh... provided you can actually cook it right in the first place.

My experimentations with separation were done to speed things up. I saw better results cutting briskets longitudinally, and in 2/3 - 1/3 sections - with me cutting the brisket about 1/3 into the point flat section with 2/3 of the thinner flat with a bit of point on top of it.

But if you come away actually liking the results of flat cooked separated from its point, then your perception is farked up and probably more attune to dry - tougher briskets anyway. This is not an insult!!!!!!!!! Its just who you are based on your experiences or personal preferences.

To those that know me... the sentence above is not necessarily an insult. I liken these people (the many who have comparatively limited taste experience limited by regional restrictions - which can even happen to people who see/participate in bbq pagents) to those that marvel at tasty, sliced then seared fajitas, but never experienced the true regional superiority of traditional skirt steak, seared and served medium rare and sliced thin thin thin on a freshly made tortilla. Or those that like a thick tomato based spaghetti sauce with beef meatballs who have never had a full sicilian sausage fresh fennel meatball made with a sugo (gravy) that got its flavor from broth, some freshly squeezed tomatoes and a hint of orange zest... reduced down after hours of cooking..... its about finding the END of limits you can reach of flavors not shortcuts. Shortcuts are not bad... they are just about mediocrity. Once again... I am not saying that its about doing it one way... obviously I do things differently, I am just saying, in a respectful way, that if you prefer this technique based solely on its results, then you personally for whatever reason, have a "mediocre" set taste, due to circumstance and/or culinary shortcomings because of region/limitations/ or just that you have no personal interest in attaining excellence because its too hard.

There is nothing I guess wrong with "good enough." Entire franchises of burger joints have grown to huge businesses based on "good enough."

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 03-19-2011 at 09:26 AM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Well said sir!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

I cook low and slow with the two separated. This allows me to get more smoke in the meat as well as flavor from the rub/bark. We put the point on top of the flat as it is fattier and drips on the flat to keep it moist while cooking. They cook at 205 for 8 hours and then are wrapped to take them to finishing temp. If you are not going to wrap then you better leave it whole in my opinion. Seperating the point makes awesome burnt ends with a lot of flavor from your rub. Some people like just the beef flavor but I like it once it has been enhanced with the injection and rub.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

that to me is the only benefit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
Have done them both ways. More surface = more bark.